Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-07-2014, 04:14 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Nitrogen cycle problems...

I set up my new 29 gallon aquarium three weeks ago. As of today, it seems the nitrogen cycle still has not started. I am using PRIME as my conditioner/dechlorinater. My water conditions are PH 7.5, ammonia .25ppm, but nitrite/nitrate are still 0ppm. I am doing a fish in cycle on the tank. The tank is planted. But only moderately. What could be the problem?!

Old 04-07-2014, 04:28 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hello DD...

The problem could be you don't have enough fish in the tank. You need 3 to 4 small fish for every 10 gallons of water. Fewer than this and it will take more time for the ammonia to build up in the water.

When you have a positive test for ammonia or nitrite you change out 25 percent of the water. Test daily and remove water when needed. When several tests show no trace of the above toxins, the tank is cycled.

B

Old 04-07-2014, 06:59 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Basically, the small amount of ammonia exceted by one or two fish will be dealt with quickly by the bacteria in your filter and the small amount of reultant nitrate will be utilised by the plants.

How many fish do you have and how large is the tank?
Old 04-07-2014, 11:16 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD7687 View Post
I set up my new 29 gallon aquarium three weeks ago. As of today, it seems the nitrogen cycle still has not started. I am using PRIME as my conditioner/dechlorinater. My water conditions are PH 7.5, ammonia .25ppm, but nitrite/nitrate are still 0ppm. I am doing a fish in cycle on the tank. The tank is planted. But only moderately. What could be the problem?!

What test kit are you using ? I've heard many times that API test kits, used for testing ammo when using Prime, often give false readings.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:20 PM   #5

I am using an API Master test kit. But, all readings are from right before partial water change/conditioner. At time of testing, Prime had been out of the water for a week.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:24 PM   #6

Thanks bbradbury and pip. I had only 4 small fish in my 29 gallon tank up until about a week ago. Now I have 7; three corydoras, two danios, a tetra, and a bristlenose pleco.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:34 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I would look more at your testing method for nitrates before jumping to conclusions. If there's an active ammonia level then you are growing BB, your plants aren't consuming all the nitrogen (they consume ammonia first), and your cycle is working.

Follow the nitrate test kit directions to the letter with proper timing of bottle shaking and vigorous bottle shaking as well.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:55 PM   #8

I would suggest getting ATM Colony or Tetra safe start. your PH is good for these products to work within a short period (7 days probably)

just pour it all in and test daily and no wc's unless you really really have to.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:35 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipraposo198 View Post
I would suggest getting ATM Colony or Tetra safe start. your PH is good for these products to work within a short period (7 days probably)

just pour it all in and test daily and no wc's unless you really really have to.
What benefit would it have in the tank? There aren't any nitrites or ammonia that needs to be converted in the tank for more bacteria to help.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:41 AM   #10

Thanks Mebbid,
I ordered a new test kit. I've been following the directions for my current one exactly. But, it's possible something is wrong with my kit.

Tags
cycle, nitrogen cycle, problem

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com