No NitrAtes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NeptuneJoe

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I am still very new to the planted aquarium, therefore I am still learning alot. In my 56 gallon planted aquarium I have about 10 Red fire guppies, 1 chinese algae eater, and 3 amazon swords. My tank is filtered by a Fluval 305 cannister filter, heated by a 200 watt visi-therm heater (tank stays at about 80*), and I also have a 10 watt aqua step HOB UV sterilizer which is powered by a little giant submersible pond pump. In late July I purchased the 3 amazon sword plants, which grew very little and began to turn yellow and translucent between the veins. After some research, I decided I didn't have enough light (nor the right color of light), and wasn't using any fertilizers. So I upgraded from using 2-24" T-8's which were using standard grow bulbs to a canopy which uses 6-24" T-8's all using daylight bulbs. I also began adding 3 caps of Flourish Excel each morning and 1- capful of Flourish Iron after each water change. Since adding the additional lighting and plant supplements, my nitrAte levels never rise above 0. My Ammonia and nitrIte levels are also at zero. Prior to adding the supplements, my nitrAte levels would ususaly be around 10 to 15 PPM by the end of the week, when I ususally perform my PWC's. The tank has been set up for almost two years, and I am certain it has cycled because I have seen it produce nitrAtes in the past. Should I be worried? Is there something that I am doing wrong, or needs to be changed? My amazons are growing like mad (4" of growth in less than a month) and have sprouted new growth like crazy. Also, the leafs have darkened to where I can no longer see the through the tissue or the veins as I was able to before. Thanks for the help in advance. You guys are awesome.

nitrate is a plant food, its the most used fert.

Seems your plant load is doing well, so you run low on nitrate. It could cause probs if there is not enough nitrate for the plants.

So doing less wc's or adding more fish should help, also turn the lights back a couple hours so there on less and dont run out of nitrate.

Or get some nitrate to add/dose to the tank

Sounds like you need to dose nitrate. Most people with heavily (or even not-so-heavily) planted tanks and a fair amount of light need to.

Thanks for the help guys. I plan to cut the lights back by about two hours a day and hope the guppies will reproduce enough to increase the population before too much longer.

You might also want to check your test kit. They sometimes expire and then won't give accurate readings. Most have an expiration date on the bottle or the box. I think API has a code where the last four digits are the month and year of expiration. I.E. 0509 would be expiring May 2009.

You might also want to check your test kit. They sometimes expire and then won't give accurate readings. Most have an expiration date on the bottle or the box. I think API has a code where the last four digits are the month and year of expiration. I.E. 0509 would be expiring May 2009.
I am using an API test kit, infact, I have a master kit and a nitrAte only test kit, both of which are still under their expiration date, and both tell me I have no nitrates in my 56 gallon tank. I also tested the water in my 55 gallon tank which houses 6 cory cats and no plants. My nitrAtes are at about 10PPM. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom