Non-egg/fry eaters.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lonewolfblue

Aquarium Advice Addict
What other fish would you recommend putting in my 29G with my bolivians that won't bother the eggs or fry, but yet fill in the void of no fish and give some action to the tank? I will be moving all 3 Bolivians and 1 BN Pleco for cleanup. I heard pencilfish would work, are there any others?

Unfortunately, eggs and fry are scarfed up by every fish there is. A snail would be less of a threat...LOL. You can have a snail :) Though there are snails in the world that would be harmful, the typical FW aquarium snails are OK. In a 29, those bolivians are going to be protecting a good amount of area and as cichlids do quite well...they will attack anything they consider a threat to eggs and fry which is just about anything.

I'm afraid I have to agree. A fish that doesnt eat fry or eggs really wouldnt be found I dont think. Cichlids will protect their area very well and with the size of the tank, any addition will likely cause panic within.

TCTFish said:
Unfortunately, eggs and fry are scarfed up by every fish there is. A snail would be less of a threat...LOL. You can have a snail :) Though there are snails in the world that would be harmful, the typical FW aquarium snails are OK. In a 29, those bolivians are going to be protecting a good amount of area and as cichlids do quite well...they will attack anything they consider a threat to eggs and fry which is just about anything.

Well, with all the fish in my 75G, and now having spawned 5 times, never seen the Bolivians attack another fish. Just would try to scare the other fish off, and if that didn't work, they push them away to they left. But there's just too many fish in the tank for the Bolivians to be successful. That's the reasoning for the move. Maybe I'll just get 3 or 4 pencilfish, as they won't be as much of a threat as 40 other fish, lol.

For successful breeding, they should be in a tank by themselves. All fish are opportunistic and will eat eggs/fry if given the chance. By keeping the fish alone, you eliminate predators and the stress of the parents trying to fend off the other fish.

My other option was just doing the Bolivians alone with 1 BN pleco for cleanup. would make it easy to protect, as it would be the only other fish.

Lonewolfblue...your tank is 75 gallons and leaves enough room for other fish to get around the breeding pair without making them work hard at keeping fish away from their broods. A 29 gallon doesn't leave that kind of room, so any fish is actually a potencial threat including pencilfish and especially catfish which does include plecos.

Honestly, my puffer has never made a move to my GBR eggs. and croies are sometimes recommended for fry tanks as they dont bother em too much dont know ho they are with eggs though.

Well, with the number of fish in the tank, and all the plecos, they absolutely cannot protect the eggs as it stands. But in the 29G, with only 1 fish to fend off, it will be real easy for them to protect the eggs. But as it stands now, when they are protecting against 2 other fish, 2 or 3 more come in and raid the nest. But since I'm planting the tank as well, I do want 1 BN Pleco in there, which I don't think will be much a threat, since the parents have done well trying to fend off 20+ fish, but have failed. So the Bolivians will finally get control of the new tank, and will be theirs. Kind of wish I didn't get the sailfin pleco and 3 additional BN Plecos, lol. They got fry the first time with just the sailfin in there. Now there's several plecos, lol.

Back
Top Bottom