Not very happy, could use some advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flvol77

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have two fully cycled tanks (55 gallon and 29gallon) I do about a 20 to 25% water change weekly, and I check my water about every three days. each aren't fully stocked so no need for a larger water change.

I waited a little longer than a week this time to do a water change, I changed about 30% of my water this morning, went out and about three hours later checked my water to see my Ammonia was at 2 ppm....:nono:

So the first thing I did is check my tap water and of course its at 2 ppm of Ammonia, which is new.

I always use Seachem Prime when doing water changes and I go a little heavy on it and I know detoxifies ammonia for roughly 24 hours maybe longer by that time my tank should cycle the ammonia.

I know this isn't great for my fish, any suggestions, should I do water changes (larger ones) every two weeks to avoid exposure to the ammonia? Or should I just continue to do water changes as scheduled and make sure I use the Prime?

I am going to also reach out to the local utility district to see what happened. All I can say is thank goodness I use Prime and use it a little heavy.

I've seen this problem a few times and can only think of a few ways to get rid of the ammonia safely without resorting to outside water sources. Either using ammonia removing chips or a cycled filter in a water container. You could keep a sponge filter in the main tank and just run it in a Rubbermaid tote of water when it comes time to do a water change to get rid of the ammonia.

Although with a 20% water change you should only get about .25ppm ammonia level on your tank. The larger the water change you do the higher the ammonia concentration will hlbe.

As long as you have high ammonia in your tap water you want to only do smaller water changes but at least once a week. Doing smaller WC's allows the tank to breakdown the ammonia faster than if you did a big WC.

Back
Top Bottom