Ok, so guppies or neon tetras?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Goldfish loach boy

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have decided to either put 5 neon tetras or 3male guppies and five female, what is better for a 10 gallon, how about a mixture of both, are the guppies better off as all males, or all females help please!
Thank you:)

Are you wanting to breed the guppies?
If not, then I would stick with one gender. Im not sure about guppies specifically, but with other livebearing fish, males tend to get aggressive with each other. If there are no females to compete for, however, they might be fine.

Well, I have a 55 gallon that I can put the fry in, do they breed a lot, because if they are better than neon tetras, then I would like to get 4 and 4

IMO that's way too many guppies for that tank. I would go with the neon tetras. But it depends on what else you have in there?

I believe guppies are notorious for their prolific breeding. My grandmother used to talk about how she had them when she was younger. Started with three and ended up with multiple tanks full.

Im not sure what you mean by "are guppies better than neons", so I dont know how to answer the question. Can you elaborate?

I believe guppies are notorious for their prolific breeding. My grandmother used to talk about how she had them when she was younger. Started with three and ended up with multiple tanks full.

Im not sure what you mean by "are guppies better than neons", so I dont know how to answer the question. Can you elaborate?

I mean which would be happier in there, which stand out more in a 10 gallon, overall how the fish look

well.. if you go by the "Inch of fish per gallon of water" guideline, then I'd say the 3 ADF and 2 Otto come pretty close to filling your 10g tank. The ADF grow to an 1 1/2-2" and the otto's 2". Its my understanding that the frogs produce more waste than a comparably sized fish, so you might want to round up and say that its full.

Its just a guideline, however. You can go beyond it, but the further you go the better filtration and more physical upkeep on your part will be required to keep them healthy. What kind of filter do you have? Are you going to be able to do PWCs more frequently?

I think the neons will have a lower bio-load than the guppies, so if youre going to add more then those would do better with your current stock.

Ok, so it would be 3 ADF, 2 ottos, and five neon tetras
I have 2 quiet flow 10, and I am prepared to do weekly water changes

I agree with the neons. I have a school of 12 and they are pretty neat. Only tetras I have ever actually liked.

A 10 gallon! I don't think so, I have done my research about the frogs, in many websites and in my LFS they have told me that I can put up to 10, so I know that I can definitely put 3

Advice from your LFS should always be taken with a grain of salt. Remember that ultimately the reason they are standing there speaking with you is to make a sale, even if it's through bad information...

I'd recommend maybe 3 ADFs tops with 3 male guppies and a mystery snail and call it a day, assuming of course your tank has properly completed the nitrogen cycle (has it?). Or get a bigger tank! :)

I have neons and guppies --- so far so good ----only thing I can say the neons get pretty evil when there is guppie fry swimming around they will chase and eat them !!I believe any fish would but just saying ....but they are all wonderfull fish and quite cool when swimming around ----they say that you should keep them in groups of 6 or more they are schooling fish .....and for guppies yes they do breed like crazy --had 50 fry from one big mama the one time ......

3 adfs would fill your tank very messy and high bio load

Back
Top Bottom