Okay, I seriously screwed up!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PepperidgeFarms

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm an absolute idiot. It didn't even cross my mind that while my tank is cycling my betta is in his 2 gallon bowl and I don't even have a heater in it!!!

I didn't think anything of it until I got a snail to see how he'll do with a partner and I saw the snail hitched to the glass on the top line of the water, barely even in it when I realized it's probably freezing compared to what it's used to!

My betta has always been in the 2 gallon bowl and I just bought the 16 gallon a few weeks ago. I'm mid cycle right now but am I better off just doing a massive water change and getting them into the tank so they can be in proper temperatures?!? I don't know how I didn't worry about this before but I feel horrible now.
My readings are basically 1 for ammonia, 0.25 for nitrites and nitrates are off the scale. It's gone down to 0 in ammonia and nitrites 3 times so far but tends to take about 3 days to level off on their own and not 24 hours so I just keep adding the ammonia to around 4 ppm until it will deal with them in 24 hours but again, I'm not there yet so...
Which is the better of my two options? Undo the cycling and basically do a fish-in cycle so the betta and snail are in proper temps or just let them wait it out another week or two so it's all done? He's managed for the last bunch of months in the bowl already, I just feel bad now:(

I would say if he’s managed this long, waiting for the cycle shouldn’t be too bad. Of course a 2 gal bowl isn’t ideal, and a heater and filter and everything are essential, but I think that keeping him where he is now is safer so that you can really get your water and everything the way you want it in your 16 gal. You could also look at a smaller tank like a 5 gal maybe and a small heater and filter and everything, for a back up space. Hope this helps!

Just float the 2g bowl on top of the 16g. The bowl will be heated then. Just change the water when needed as you cycle the 16g. And have a temp reader on the 16g. There's ways around things ?

Back
Top Bottom