One aggressive Molly and a passive Angel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

monstersmom

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I may have posted this in the wrong section of the forum so I appologize to anyone reading this a second time.

So Ive cycled my 30 gallon tank, and all was well, added an Angelfish and 2 Mollies 1 male 1 female. I had read about Angelfish being a bit aggressive espeacially at feeding time so I was a litte nervous about the Angel who is Id say about 4 inches right now in with the Mollies. The Angelfish is what I've had my heart set on since before I can remember, ever since I was a little girl so I was looking for something I both liked and was compatable. Many sites Ive read have said the Mollies and Angelfish would be fine together however one LFS told me that Angelfish should only ever be in with other semi-aggressive fish and that Mollies were peaceful. However I went to another store since this one had no Angelfish what so ever. This store told me that the Angelfish would be fine with mollies. So my signifigant other and I decided to go ahead and get the two types. At first everything was fine. The angel didnt really seem to take notice of the mollies and all were eating fine.

I then decided to add another female molly after a week. Im not sure if this was the problem but now the male Molly who has been in my tank since the begining seems to be aggressive with the angel. I want to call it nipping but Im not sure if youd call it that but anyways he will go up to the angel, and do what I think looks like kissing the angel right on his mouth to the point the angel is backing away in the corner. He's been doing this for 3 days now. Since he has started the Angelfish really isnt eating. Im not sure if this is because he is now scared of the molly and the molly is always the first at the top to eat followed by the other two mollies, or if hes taking no notice of the food since he just seems to stare at his reflection in the glass.

My readings yesterday were Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0 and Nitrates 20. I have been feeding only flakes due to the fact that I do not drive, have a two year old and the weather here has been horrible, and I dont want my son getting sick over fish food, so Im waiting untill tomorrow to go to the store when I have a drive. I plan on getting some freeze dried blood worms.

Anyways my question is, is there anything that can be done to reduce the amount of aggression the Molly is showing? It always seems to be around the same times late morning and early evening right before feeding time, but its gotten to the point that the angel doesnt eat. I really dont want to have to get rid of either fish, and the other two mollies dont seem to bother the angel however one of my females and my male seem to be really enjoying each other constantly swimming together they are never really apart. Id be willing to get rid of the male however I fear the same thing might happen again or the female might become sad.

Thanks for any advice in advance guys.

Back
Top Bottom