One veryy calm betta, one active one?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KhloeM

Aquarium Advice Activist
hi everyone! so as some of you may know, i was going to my lfs last night to look for another betta fish! i found one that i just fell in love with :) i named him Apollo. he's a really calm halfmoon betta (compared to Zeus, my crazy red vieltail who's in my icon picture thingy) so i was wondering, what would cause Apollo to be very "calm" and not really swim much? it could be that i just got him last night and he's still adjusting, but he is usually always at the top of the tank. the water parameters are fine, and the temperature is about 78-79°. do you think he just needs time to adjust? if i go up to the tank (or just walk by) he'll kind of "jump" and swim down in the water to look at me, so he's not like up there no matter what. but i'm just comparing him to Zeus, who is ALWAYS swimming around like a nut, lol! do you think i should do anything differently? or is he just shy/not as active as Zeus? thanks!!

'Tanks' very much! ~Zeus (betta), Apollo (betta), Loki (gold dust lyretail molly), five nameless dust mollies, and two nameless nerite snails ;)

I have a yellow veil tail Betta named Gus he is very calm too beats me why though

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'll bet you that they probably just have different personalities. Some will be so calm they never flare and live well with many other fish and some will be violently aggressive and attack most other fish.

I'll bet you that they probably just have different personalities. Some will be so calm they never flare and live well with many other fish and some will be violently aggressive and attack most other fish.

thanks! yea, not sure why he's so docile. perhaps it is just his shy personality. Zeus can be a bit spastic at times :D though, as i was trying to net Apollo out of his betta cup yesterday and into the tank, he would not let me do it at all. then he literally jumped out of the cup. and luckily he landed in the water!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425523770.526004.jpg

Here's my Betta. He is pretty chill with my shrimp and ADF. Each Betta has a different personality. Some are crazies and kill everything and others I've seen work in community tanks (rarely). Mine will sometimes hang out at the top and one time I found him "sleeping" on one of his fake plants. I love watching him fool around. :)

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

View attachment 266359

Here's my Betta. He is pretty chill with my shrimp and ADF. Each Betta has a different personality. Some are crazies and kill everything and others I've seen work in community tanks (rarely). Mine will sometimes hang out at the top and one time I found him "sleeping" on one of his fake plants. I love watching him fool around. :)

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

wow, how handsome!! thanks for the info. yea, i think maybe Apollo just likes to hang out up top. he doesn't swim weird or anything, he's just not as active as Zeus. but Zeus is very active no matter what just because he's a spazz :) (a cute spazz though) and i even taught him to flare every time someone comes up to the tank. it's the cutest thing ever! (he only does it for a second, and then he'll just swim around and look at you, but he just has the neatest personality) thanks!!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425556296.086892.jpg

This is king he is very active and yes Gus does rest a lot

Sent from inside my fish tank

Well looks more like a female. Sorry it's 7am I'm not awake yet lol sorry for calling her a him :p

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Well looks more like a female. Sorry it's 7am I'm not awake yet lol sorry for calling her a him :p

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Do u mean mine is a female

Do u mean mine is a female

I'm certainly no Betta expert but yours does have some shorter fins which is common among females while males have the big long fins. Just a guess

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I got it at petco and it said male king Betta but idrk

I got it at petco and it said male king Betta but idrk

oh my gosh you're totally right, i couldn't tell the size of him from the picture! such a nice color of King male, he's really handsome :)

Back
Top Bottom