Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-19-2011, 04:18 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Opaline Gouramis

Hey, I'm back! It feels as if it's been forever since I've been on here! I still have my 55 gallon tank that's still sitting around doing nothing but holding water, sand, a few rocks and a piece of driftwood. And now I'm rethinking the stocking...
I want to put my one opaline gourami in the tank. I still have the panda and peppered cories that I want to put in there.
What else could go with them? I'm not all sure what gets along with gouramis... Also could an angelfish go with them becuase my sister still wants one and I'd love to have one
Thank you so much!!!!

Old 11-19-2011, 05:40 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've been reading online and it's been saying that it depends in the sex of the gourami... Does anyone know how to tell the difference? Here's a picture if it helps:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1447477665.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	62032   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-605406148.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	62033  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1405381821.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	62034  

Old 11-19-2011, 06:29 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

In my 55g tank I have angels, gouramis and rainbows. So far they are all getting along just fine. Just this morning I noticed one of the angels chasing another angel. The gouramis are very peaceful as are the rainbows. IMO I'd go for it.
Old 11-19-2011, 06:34 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maltimomma
In my 55g tank I have angels, gouramis and rainbows. So far they are all getting along just fine. Just this morning I noticed one of the angels chasing another angel. The gouramis are very peaceful as are the rainbows. IMO I'd go for it.
Cool!!! Thanks for the information
Old 11-19-2011, 06:39 PM   #5
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

I know this isn't the most helpful answer, but it depends on the fish. Honestly, angels and gouramis are pretty hit-or-miss IMO. I think it generally works out ok, but there are definitely times when it doesn't. However, you have a decently sized tank, and if you only have 1 of each species, it should hopefully work out well. Personally, I say go for it! A lot (not all) of the problems that arise between the 2 species are when people have a mated pair.
As for tankmates, there are dozens of pretty schoolers that would be awesome to go with both an angel and a gourami. Rummies, cardonals, black neons, kerri blue tetras, and Pristella tetras to name a few options.
Old 11-19-2011, 06:46 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by absolutangel04
I know this isn't the most helpful answer, but it depends on the fish. Honestly, angels and gouramis are pretty hit-or-miss IMO. I think it generally works out ok, but there are definitely times when it doesn't. However, you have a decently sized tank, and if you only have 1 of each species, it should hopefully work out well. Personally, I say go for it! A lot (not all) of the problems that arise between the 2 species are when people have a mated pair.
As for tankmates, there are dozens of pretty schoolers that would be awesome to go with both an angel and a gourami. Rummies, cardonals, black neons, kerri blue tetras, and Pristella tetras to name a few options.
Yeah there's only going to be one of each. I just have been feeling really bad for the lone gourami, he/she's been with 2 goldfish and 1 ybt for at least a year... Thanks for the reassurance! I love the rummies but I'm still going to be looking around.
Old 11-19-2011, 06:50 PM   #7
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

Yeah, I know that not everybody had good experiences with rummies. Mine have been awesome and healthy and active, but some people definitely have problems with them.

There are seriously so many schoolers that could be options though. Let us know when you figure out what you like.
Old 11-19-2011, 06:53 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Okay I will. I really love the diamond tetras and will probably get some of them. I just love the way they sparkle and catch your eye.
Old 11-19-2011, 07:00 PM   #9
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

They are indeed lovely. I have never personally kept them before, so I don't really know anything about them, but they definitely look awesome.
Old 11-19-2011, 07:02 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hey, good to see you back!

IDK how well opaline gourami and diamond tetras would do together. I have always heard diamond tetras are a bit too active for slow movers...at least, what I've heard.
Old 11-19-2011, 07:09 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsbro1997
Hey, good to see you back!

IDK how well opaline gourami and diamond tetras would do together. I have always heard diamond tetras are a bit too active for slow movers...at least, what I've heard.
Thanks! It's good to be back
The gouramis been around the goldfish and the active goldfish so I bet it'd be fine. I also like the look of the buenos aires and the Kerri tetras as well...
Old 11-19-2011, 07:28 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

If he's been around goldies then I guess he'll be alright

Beunos aires tetras get MASSIVE and are fin nippers. I say no.

But kerris, YES! They are gorgeous!
Old 11-19-2011, 07:34 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsbro1997
If he's been around goldies then I guess he'll be alright

Beunos aires tetras get MASSIVE and are fin nippers. I say no.

But kerris, YES! They are gorgeous!
Okay, no buenos aires then! I'm going to hopefully go look around some pet stores soon and see what they have as well
Old 11-19-2011, 07:35 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

I still say kerri

If not, emperor, penguin, or red phantom tetras
Old 11-19-2011, 07:39 PM   #15
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

Not red phantom. They can be nasty little things and you have to watch the gender ratios, but even then they still do not always play nice IME.
Emperors are awesome! I would love to have them, but I am out of space.
Old 11-19-2011, 07:40 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

I will have to look into the emperors!

Tags
gourami, gouramis, ideas, stocking, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com