Opinion on Bacteria in a BOTTLE???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bates1990

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm wondering what everyone thinks about BB in a bottle I personally don't think that they all work but I have seen some that works pretty good. What do you think???

It really helped me out. My cycle had been going 8 weeks with no ammonia drop. I bought some "colonize" from drsfostersmith.com, and then in 3 weeks the tank was cycled! However, experiences differ from tank to tank.

I'm using Tetra Safe Start and for me is working. I've tried other brands but useless compared to TSS. I am doing a fish-in cycling of aquarium but other people say is not working for them. Depends from aquarium to aquarium and from bottle to bottle of TSS. Some of them have been kept in too cold or too hot conditions and when you are using it, you will get a bottle with dead bacteria.

I personally buy refrigerated bacteria it greatly improves the life span of the bacteria and once it gets in the water it just starts blooming and blooming

I'm returning an unused bottle. Not the right kind of Bacteria. I don't have ammonia of NO2 problem, it's an NO3 problem and need anaerobic bacteria. I always have used it when starting a tank, but have never tried in an established tank.

Nutrafin Cycle works well; some of the others, not so much. I've experimented with a few different brands. I'd stay away fom the in-store brands from the big chain stores.

I was a little skeptical at first. It says ya can add fish immediately, so I followed the directions and added a few zebra danios immediately. Followed the directions the next two days. Never lost a fish, never saw any ammonia or nitrite spikes, and nitrates started showin' up at detectable levels a few days or a week later, don't remember how long it took. Anyways, made a believer outta me.

WYite

I used Fritz-zyme once for a mini cycle. It worked in a day (to get rid of nitrItes. My tank has been great ever since. It's hard to find because it needs to be refrigerated. Supposedly this stuff is used commercially by actual aquariums and new LFS's. I have found almost all positive feedback for this stuff online. I cycle using established media and stuff. But if I was ever in a bind, I would definitely use this stuff again!

Imo nothing beats the real thing, media from an established tank. I dont have much faith in bottled stuff. For one, its an aerobic bacteria that needs oxygen to survive so i wouldn't think any of the commercial stuff would have an extended shelf life.

I tried both the seachem brand and tetra safe start and both worked at first but I had bio crashes about a month in , I also had a bio crash after using eco complete with there live water added also after about a month of cycle , from what I understand the bacteria in these products is not the right kind of bacteria that should be in a aquarium , IMO nothing beats just letting mother nature take its course by dousing pure ammo and waiting

About a few years ago i researched this topic extensively. IME, the only two products I trust based on scientific study (scholarly journals) and personal experience are Tetra Safe Start and Dr. Tims One and Only. From what I've read, these have the correct strains of bio-spira bacteria. TSS definitely worked to get my tank cycled expeditiously.

I've only used the BB in a bottle when i re-entered the hobby only because i didn't have access to an established tank for bio media to seed my tank.

creic38 said:
I used Fritz-zyme once for a mini cycle. It worked in a day (to get rid of nitrItes. My tank has been great ever since. It's hard to find because it needs to be refrigerated. Supposedly this stuff is used commercially by actual aquariums and new LFS's. I have found almost all positive feedback for this stuff online. I cycle using established media and stuff. But if I was ever in a bind, I would definitely use this stuff again!

That is what it's called I've been trying to remember because it's the best bacteria I've used if its the refrigerated one. You can see it blooming in your tank it's pretty cool

Cichlid Kid said:
Imo nothing beats the real thing, media from an established tank. I dont have much faith in bottled stuff. For one, its an aerobic bacteria that needs oxygen to survive so i wouldn't think any of the commercial stuff would have an extended shelf life.

Are you referring to "filter poop" cause that does work crazy well for pouring poop in your tank.

Back
Top Bottom