opinions??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tipton34

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am starting my second aquarium build. This tank will be around 30 gallons but the tank is 4ft long. What would y'all stock it with? I plan on having a few live plants.

loaches apreciate a longer foot print. how tall and deep would it be aprox? it would make it easier to suggest stock knowing those dimensions.

It's around 15 inches tall, 10 inches wide, 48 inches long

10 Neon or Cardinal Tetras
10 Cories
2 Rams
1 Bristlenose Pleco
10 Rummy Nose Tetras
And maybe something else...

Tipton34 said:
It's around 15 inches tall, 10 inches wide, 48 inches long

That would be great for a school of loaches. Stay with smaller ones however. take a look at loaches.com they have a list of loaches and loach care that would be great in helping to pick the right ones for you.

You could even make it a tank focused on loaches and have a sand substrate with some driftwood and rocks. you could add some tiger barbs for top swimming dither fish too.

I like the idea of multiple schools! Especially something like neons, and loaches. So far this tank is by far a better design than a shorter more compact tank

I agree. I just have to get to work on building it now!

The only problem that there could be IMO is that the large school of the active cories steal the food of the not-as-active pleco. Some people have had issues with their cories eating all of the food. (They are pigs!)

EDIT: OK, I thought the tank was much bigger than it actually is. This makes Vanimal's idea overstocked. I recommend two schools of 8 fish such as zebra danios, cherry barbs, or tetras, with a centerpiece like a dwarf gourami or a pair of rams. Then some bottom feeders such as a BN pleco, a school of cories, or a school of small loaches,

bud29 said:
The only problem that there could be IMO is that the large school of the active cories steal the food of the not-as-active pleco. Some people have had issues with their cories eating all of the food. (They are pigs!)

EDIT: OK, I thought the tank was much bigger than it actually is. This makes Vanimal's idea overstocked. I recommend two schools of 8 fish such as zebra danios, cherry barbs, or tetras, with a centerpiece like a dwarf gourami or a pair of rams. Then some bottom feeders such as a BN pleco, a school of cories, or a school of small loaches,

It's not that badly overstocked, just remove two tetras from each school and maybe two Cories.

That really wouldn't be too overstocked.

Ok another question, should I go with black sand, and white sand, or both??

I was thinking maybe black with a little white mixed in

Alright, I looked and it really isn't that bad. But, I would say no more bottom feeders with that so of you wanted loaches you would probably have to switch them out with the cories.

It's hard to beat the color enhancing of black but it looks really dark if you don't have very bright lights. I hope the two bulb t-8 from home depot will be bright enough

I think that's what I'm going to do. I have some bamboo sticks that I'm going to use for decoration.

I have black sand and I love it! So
8 Neons
8 Rummy Nose
6-8 Cories
1 Bristlenose Pleco
2 Rams
???

ForumRunner_20120814_091522.jpg

Back
Top Bottom