Otocinclus or Pitbull pleco?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tiffi

Aquarium Advice Addict
70 gal, 2.86wpg, black gravel/sand, 7.5pH (but will add CO2 soon), kH7, heavily planted, some driftwood.

I've heard/ read that it can be quite difficult to keep Otos alive as soon as the algae in the tank is eaten.

I've also read that Pitbull plecos eat algae too, they just seem to be easier to feed once the algae is gone, and they are supposed to be active during the day, and quite funny to watch.

Will this pleco also eat algae from the side walls of the aquarium?

Will it be ok with shrimps?

Which one would probably less "attack" my plants?

Which of these two algae eaters would you prefer, and for which reasons?

I have never had ottos and am completely bias towards little plecos--I love them and cannot get enough of them. First, their shape is different than other fish in the tank. Secondly, they are easy to care for. Finally, they make wonderful algea eaters and do not eat plants--they may rest on them, but they do not eat them.

Who doesn't love a mouth like this?

Attachments

• pleco_mouth.jpg
    pleco_mouth.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 192
I have otos in 2 tanks and a gold nugget pleco in one tank. I love them both. I can't help it, they both have such interesting and unique qualities. Although I see more of the otos than the pleco. I have had no troubles keeping otos alive for over a year. Sorry I couldn't be more help in making a decision.

I have 3 otos and a bn plec. I would get both if you can. My otos have done very well. One of them I have had for nearly a year. I think the trick is to really look at the ones in the lfs and get ones that have nice round bellies. And plecos are just plain great. If you supplement with algae tabs and veggies both otos and plecos will be fine even when all the algae is gone.

Pitbull pleco's are great and clean algae wonderfully too. But you have so much room for something bigger, like an albino or regular color bristlenose pleco. Possibly 2?

I have 3 in my 80 gallon and I don't have a speck of algae anywhere.

I don't see any reason why you can't have a couple of species of fish for eating algae in a tank that size. I have 8 otos spread among four tanks right now as well as a bristlenose pleco and a rubberlipped pleco. I keep the bristlenose pleco and 3 otos in my 30 gallon tank. The pleco keeps the glass clean of algae while the otos are good at keeping algae off of the plant leaves, especially the smaller leaved plants like dwarf sags.

nither fish is known to eat plants..
depending on the rest of the stocking plan (as far as bio-load and style of fish are concerned) that is how I would base my desision.. both or one or the other.. I think I would like the bitbull pleco better.. but that would be a preferance of mine..
Good show on planning ahead with your fish stocking.. it seems you have nothing but plants so far.. (y)

First off, there is always going to be some algea in the tank. and ottos can feed on the algea that you cant even see, Like just the tiniest bit of diatom algea. So the argument that after the algea is gon there will be no food for the otos is not a great one. Sure mabey supplement there food, but its probably not neccessary.

I love ottos because you can still see them in the day time, their mouths are as soft as butter on plants, and I like watching them.

But, I ouldnt imagine myself having a larger size tank without a pleco. The only tank I have with no pleco is a 5g with 1 otto, but Im going to add like 2 more when I can find the time to acclimate them.

I would go with both, a small species of pleco, and about 4-6 ottos. The plecos keep the drift wood free of all types of algea and sometimes venture off, and the ottos go to town everywhere, but their small so you need a lot of 'em.

p.s. most heavily planted people use algea eaters as preventative care, not to get rid of the algea.

just my thoughts

So they both are relatively easy to care for opposite from what I've heard, great :roll: .

@FawN: I have a 70gal tall, so I don't have that much space on the bottom. Lots of plants and only 36"x18". Besides I can't get along with the look of bristelnose plecos (sorry, that's just my personal preference.)

Otos need a small group to feel good and those pitbull plecos too, don't they (@aquakev)? I'm just really scared, that something will starve although I'm feeding algae discs/wafers etc.

Here is the rest of my fish plan:
~10 Cardinal Tetra
2-3 Colisa lalia (1m, up to 2 female)
2 German Blue Rams
2 Colisa chuna
6 Endler (2:4)

I definitely want to have Amano Shrimps!
So how many Otos/Pitbull plecos in addition to Amanos should I get?

Zags said he sees more of the Otos than the plecos? Have others many similar experiences? Do they just lay around during the day or actually clean something, so you can watch?

All of these species make excellent additions to a planted aquarium and can be kept with each other. I keep otos and DBNs simply because I like the fish. Not for algae control. They will do well if their diet is suplemented with algae wafers and some fresh veggies.

I really like the otos because they're more conspicuous and sociable. When I began stocking my planted 125, I bought a dozen. I ended up with seven and they all seem to hang out together. Don't be surprised if you get a die off with some. It's probably nothing you caused. Some of these poor guys lose their ability to digest food as a result of being starved during shipping. :( The best way to avoid this is to buy otos that have been at the lfs for 30 days. Avoid buying new arrivals. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom