Otos,Pitbull or bristlenose pleco for 15 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NuttyMalik

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My aquarium is moderately planted stocked with a Betta and 6 leopard Cory's

I want a fish that is always eating not because I want a algae eater so please no "a razor is the best algae eater!" Replies

I've heard that bristlenose need 20 gallon minimum so even though they are my favorites I guess it wouldn't be a option.

I've heard that aside from a clown pleco which I don't like the look of i can't keep any plecos apart from pitbulls which I really like but I've heard you need 4 of them and I don't know if I could just keep one also i don't know if they hide all the time which would be a bit of a bummer.

Then the last option would be 6 otos which I'm scared will die even though I can get them cheap and i wont know if they will take the veg I give them

If anyone wants to suggest anything feel free
Thanks

Yes a male bn catfish is out on tank volume and stocking. If a female bn catfish fell in your lap that might work - idk, I'm tempted to leave as is to keep good water quality for the present stocking.

Oto's (or at least mine) will chase down fish food as well.

The problem with plecos is most require a lot of driftwood further reducing water volume while creating a lot of bioload. The other downside is I never see mine. Twice a week I drop in an algae sheet or wafer and see them scuttle for a bit then hide again.
The zebra pleco is beautiful small and don't rasp driftwood. But insanely expensive.
If I was to add to your tank it would be a small shoal of tetra or some kind of invert your beta wouldn't eat. And even this increase might require a level of flow/filtration increase beyond those enjoyed by the beta.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The problem with plecos is most require a lot of driftwood further reducing water volume while creating a lot of bioload. The other downside is I never see mine. Twice a week I drop in an algae sheet or wafer and see them scuttle for a bit then hide again.
The zebra pleco is beautiful small and don't rasp driftwood. But insanely expensive.
If I was to add to your tank it would be a small shoal of tetra or some kind of invert your beta wouldn't eat. And even this increase might require a level of flow/filtration increase beyond those enjoyed by the beta.

I have quite a lot of driftwood I've solved the flow problem by having sponge filters and an air stone with an internal filter and also quite heavily planted.

If I decide not to go with otos what Schooling fish would you recommend, I'm thinking maybe cardinals or purple Harley Quinn's?

Maybe Neons or Glowlight Tetras or Harlequin Rasboras ?

Purple Harly Quinns ?? Don't know that fish.

Ember Tetras a small and cool.

Bristlenose are too big even for a 20 imo. Huge bioload for a 4" fish. I actually have one that got 6"

Back
Top Bottom