Ottos?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Perrytheparrotfish

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 28 gallon fish tank an was wondering if I could add 2-3 ottos.right now I have a 2.5 inch blue gourami, a 3 inch gold gourami, a 2 and 5 inch blood parrot.

no. blood parrots have a 55 gallon min for one. rather than get more fish,id look at getting at least 2 55 gallon tanks,1 for each bp

Oh...but I have seen about 4 in a 20 gallon.I will hopefully get a bigger tank in a couple of years.

Also, the gouramis need to be separated or they'll kill each other. :( sorry to be a bum, but after you get that stuff settled, you can have more like 4-5 ottos. :)

Perrytheparrotfish said:
Oh...but I have seen about 4 in a 20 gallon.I will hopefully get a bigger tank in a couple of years.

Just because you saw it doesn't mean it's right ;) you really need to upgrade.

The gouramis are both girls, which the pet store person said they shouldn't kill or attack each other an they haven't.

Perrytheparrotfish said:
The gouramis are both girls, which the pet store person said they shouldn't kill or attack each other an they haven't.

Because they haven't reached sexual maturity yet. They're in the same family as bettas. If you have more then one, they'll eventually kill each other. The pet store person was wrong.

Because they haven't reached sexual maturity yet. They're in the same family as bettas. If you have more then one, they'll eventually kill each other. The pet store person was wrong.

Well mixing gourami's isn't generally a good idea, but I don't think it's fair to say that with absolute certainty like that. You definitely want to watch out for any nipping, chasing, and hiding. Seperate them immediately if you see this behavior.

Back
Top Bottom