Outgoing Catfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adadkins1

Aquarium Advice Addict
After giving up on increasing my Otocinclus numbers (added two additional to my current ones and they both died within a week), I am wanting to get some other catfish that is active. I have a Bristlenose and a Clown Pleco, but neither one of them come out very often. I may see them out during the day a couple times in a month. Now I do realize that being catfish they are mainly nocturnal, but are there any other Plecos that are outgoing and would be comfortable in a 55?

Well it's not a cat fish, but have considered a loach? More along the lines of an angelicus botia. They only get six inchs but are lively as every.

Readingexcalibur said:
Well it's not a cat fish, but have considered a loach? More along the lines of an angelicus botia. They only get six inchs but are lively as every.

Some pics of mine.

Well, right now I have 8 or so Kuhlis that only come out during feeding time. I would get rid of them, but the buggers are a royal pain in the butt to catch. I just wish I had a decent size pleco that would actually come out during the day. Like I said my BNP just chills out in a cave and my Clown stays right on "his" piece of driftwood. I have heard female BNP's are more outgoing, but don't know if I can keep 1 male and 1 female or if the ratio needs to be 1m : 2f. I'll have to check my nitrates too, because I don't want to end up getting them higher than normal (planted tank and they stay around 15).

I have a Bristlenose and a Clown Pleco, but neither one of them come out very often.

My husband has a single clown, never see him. I have 2 bristlenoses, they are out and about all day long. Must have something to do with the number. How about a little research to see which plecos stay small enough that you could have more than 1 in your 55?

How about a syndontis? , my featherfin is out swimming all the time.

+1 Mine is cruising the tank no matter day or night. I'm not so sure I'd recommend a featherfin for a 55 though. I have mine in my 75 and can't visualize him in something smaller.

I know Plecos species fairly well and I have an idea of what species can fit in a 55g comfortably, my biggest thing is the thing coming out during the day and not being territorial with existing species ( aforementioned Plecos, Glowlights Tetras, Marbled Hatchets, Kuhlis, and Pearl Gourami).

Nitrates are currently holding around 5- 10 ppm.

adadkins1 said:
I know Plecos species fairly well and I have an idea of what species can fit in a 55g comfortably, my biggest thing is the thing coming out during the day and not being territorial with existing species ( aforementioned Plecos, Glowlights Tetras, Marbled Hatchets, Kuhlis, and Pearl Gourami).

Nitrates are currently holding around 5- 10 ppm.

My gold nugget is out allot showing off, however he dislikes any other cat fish. He is in my picture album if you wanted to see him.

I think I just might get a female or 2 BNP's to go with my big male. Maybe it is a safety in numbers thing like LyndaB said. I have also heard that females tend to be a bit more outgoing.

Thanks for the help folks, and have a blessed Easter.

Back
Top Bottom