over stocked vs. over stressed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyquidphyre

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay, I have my fish all planned out so I don't overstock my 75gal (im sure most of ya'll have seen my "fish list")
Here is what has occured, my 3 silver hatchets are doing well.. they swim together and are fine. My new marble hatchets don't really do that. Granted, one died (and im getting another) so I have two marble hatchets that are very reclusive. One kinda hangs out with my silvers, but not really. Now, I know hatchets do best in a school of 6. So I was thinking about adding more marble hatchets (since my silvers don't seem to be phased by their small group). Now, this conflicts with my fish list and overstocking.

If my waters are and continue to be stable (which they are), would it be okay to push my stocking limit a little to make the hatchets more comfortable. I was thinking this might be okay, since hatchets are top dwellers, there wouldn't be overcrowding up top.... or something. Also, my tank at the moment, isn't overstocked... but when im finished adding fish.. I will be pushing 75in of fish in a 75gal.

My list again
(what i have)-
8 serpae tetras
2 golden barbs
1 red tailed black shark
1 swarts cory cat
1 peppered cory cat
3 silver hatchets
2 marble hatchets
(what im getting)-
at least one more marble hatchet
4 german blue rams
1 angel
2 or 3 odessa barbs
and maybe another cory or two

I am going to have a lot of hiding places and swimming room and I think its spaced out okay. Should I get a few more marble hatchets or would I be pushing it in the end?

I'd say go for it. IMO better to have them in larger groups and a little less space then to have them wither away because they are lonely!

When you get into larger tanks (55+) overstocking is a bit harder, it takes a lot longer for water quality to change, mainly due to volume.

Putting an extra 10" of fish in a 55Gal wouldn't be too big a problem, I think I'm sitting at about 80" of fish and 10-12" of shrimp in mine, (75 gal) The parameters are rock solid, but I've also over purchased based on replacing the tank with a larger one (hence the 130+Gal worth of filtration)

Now putting 15" in a 10Gal can cause rapid Water Quality changes, that's why bigger is better IMO.

so the simple answer, make them happy :D give em some buddies :D

I agree with wizard. In a big tank, a few extre fish, especially smaller fish, won't make much difference as long as you keep up your maintenance. :D

Well so much for getting more marbles
I replaced the one that died, and bought an extra and one of those two died BLAH

All of my hatchets seem to be doing well (silvers and marbles) and I will monitor their behavior and see if I need to purchase anymore

My angel made it through the night this time!

I know you can strtch the limit on larger tanks,so go for it. But one thing angels dont like to be but themself, so can the angel, or get it a friend. Yago

Back
Top Bottom