Pea puffers not eating snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blackberry75

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 4 of them in a 30g planted tank. For the past year they've eaten snails no issues. Recently my snail tank crashed and I lost the whole stock in there (daughter was "helping" feed them w/o telling me). While I get that going again, I've been throwing in tiny mystery snails and whatever snails I can wrangle out of my other tanks.

They haven't touched any of them. They'll gobble up blood worms or brine shrimp or any other frozen foods, so I know they'll eat but I'm concerned about their sudden lack of interest in snails. I could understand them not eating the mysteries, maybe they don't taste good, but they won't touch the bladder or rams either.

Can I not feed them for a few days without adversely affecting them to wet their appitite? Or is there something else I can do to get them interested in snails again? I don't know if a diet of just frozen foods is healthy enough for them.

Ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 5, temp 80, GH 7, KH 4, ph7.2. Same as its been, so no changes in parameters. They are otherwise acting normal, their poohs look normal as well, and there's no visible signs of disease.

Mystery solved. I added more plants from another tank a while ago. While observing the puffers I noticed something darting around in the plants. Its feeder a guppy. Specifically one of the females I'd thought I lost. Last time I saw her, she was very pregnant... she's not now. There's zero fry though. Welp, they say live food is best lol. I will have to be more careful when I transfer plants in the future. Now for the tricky part, fishing her out. Man she's fast.

Back
Top Bottom