Pearl gouramies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nylith

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,

What do you think about adding 3 pearl gouramies in this 30 gallon fish tank?

I already have: 4 swordstails and 8 neon tetras.
Filtration: aquael turbo 1000, 1000l/h

Hello,

What do you think about adding 3 pearl gouramies in this 30 gallon fish tank?

I already have: 4 swordstails and 8 neon tetras.
Filtration: aquael turbo 1000, 1000l/h

I think you'd be risking problems, but they're not guaranteed. Pearls can be aggressive toward each other (especially a male ready to breed), but timid toward other fish. They'd need hiding spots, and I doubt a 30 is big enough to provide them for a group of three. Also, swordtails (which I love) are active and can be aggressive. They might stress the pearls and out-compete them for food. Plus, some swordtails get quite large, so three pearls might be overloading the tank.

If it were me, I would just add one, at most.

I would only do 2 if it was all good. I am not against the idea of two with your stocking.
30g is 36 inches long not 30 inches [29g] ?
IMO the pearls are the more peaceful of gouramies but will get large ,like the swords..
You know the swords will multiply ? NONE of mine eat their fry....

I don't want to make it difficult for you. In my opinion nothing bad will happen. Pearl gouramis may chase one another but that would be mostly on feeding time. And won't kill each other. They may bother each other but never kill. Pearls are very peaceful in all gouramis.

Thank you guys for your oppinions. I think i'll go with one gourami now:) also what do you think if I would add 1 gourami and one small angel fish?

One Pearl is a great Choice, a male looks really beautiful.

My experience is different. I had one for about 4 years. Loved him. In the beginning there were 4.

2M / 2F one Pearl smaller F was killed by the male charging it, ramming it chasing and harrassing it, it also went after the M that I ended up keeping. I suppose it could have been a young sneaker male maybe why it was in a word hostile and super aggressive.

The mean Pearl went into a tank of pleasant but larger semi aggressive fish like Silver Dollars, and Giant Danios and Angel and a couple other which caused him to behave nicely in a friends tank for the extent of his life.

One female became startled and nose dived hard into the bottom of the tank and did not recover.

The M Pearl I had all that time was super sweet and peaceful. If the breeding pair of Angels annoyed him continuously he would show his irritation and all would be well again.

Highly recommend one, it was a favorite fish!

Back
Top Bottom