Peppered Cory

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larochem595

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello,

This is more of a comment than a question...

I purchased this little guy as a $2.99 peppered Cory. It was still small when I got it but it's dorsal fin was a little bigger compared to some tankmates. Whelp, the dorsal fin has continued to grow with it!
Not used to seeing a Cory with this large of a dorsal fin. Anything you could tell me about it?

It's cute, regardless.
Thanks!
Michelle

(Sorry for the crappy pics, it's an active little guy.)

Attachments

• IMG_20230121_110603117.jpg
    IMG_20230121_110603117.jpg
    257.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20230121_110756834.jpg
    IMG_20230121_110756834.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20230121_110046348.jpg
    IMG_20230121_110046348.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 22
It's a longfin peppered Corydoras

The breeders in Asia have been producing long finned Cories for a few years now and that is one of them. Just a normal peppered Cory but with a longer dorsal fin.

The breeders in Asia have been producing long finned Cories for a few years now and that is one of them. Just a normal peppered Cory but with a longer dorsal fin.

Cool, thanks!

I found these cory posters the other day.

uYpOXUJ.jpeg

6vjfMYq.jpeg

ofdkBGx.jpeg

7L3PZv5.jpeg

In a horrible, sad turn of events that I never ever would have predicted, I woke up from my nap this afternoon to find this very fish belly up in my tank. His gills are still pumping but I don't think he has long left for this world.

I have no clue...it was literally fine all day, doing it's usual foraging and normal Cory stuff.....

Water parameters are all still the same-no ammonia, nitrites or nitrates, pH stable at 7.4 ish.

???

In a horrible, sad turn of events that I never ever would have predicted, I woke up from my nap this afternoon to find this very fish belly up in my tank. His gills are still pumping but I don't think he has long left for this world.

I have no clue...it was literally fine all day, doing it's usual foraging and normal Cory stuff.....

Water parameters are all still the same-no ammonia, nitrites or nitrates, pH stable at 7.4 ish.

???
Well that's a bummer. How long did you have it? What other fish are in the tank with him? What size is the tank?
Something to keep in mind is that Cory cats are not loners. They do sooooo much better when in a group so if you replace him, do so with about 5 or 6 of the same specie. (y)

Check the water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Increase aeration/ surface turbulence to maximise oxygen levels in the water.

Check the water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Increase aeration/ surface turbulence to maximise oxygen levels in the water.

Ammonia 0
Nitrates 0
pH 7.4 ish (my baseline)

I always treat water with prime.

My otos are looking bloated and stressed now too ?. I am suspicious that these new otos brought something into the tank. (I don't have a hospital or quarantine tank--small apartment so I can't pull off two tanks.)

You can use a plastic storage container for a hospital/ quarantine tank. It's not that easy to see the fish but they are cheap to buy and can be stored under the bed or in a cupboard when not in use.

Update:
Things were looking not so good through Saturday... mostly bloating and gills pumping. The 3 remaining fish looked red around the gills and pectoral fins-- definitely some type of infection going through the tank. The otos looked stressed and started darting.

I did some research and decided to give doxycycline a try... Today was my last day and final pwc.

I'm happy to report that they all look much better! They are all calmly snuffling around the tank. They definitely look less red and no signs of stress.

And I bought a background...? (Found it in a clearance corner at PetSmart for a buck.)

Side question -- does doxy typically mess with your nitrifying bacteria? My tank doesn't seem to have come uncycled at all (which I am glad.) I've only needed antibiotics one other time and I distinctly recall that my tank went through a mini cycle afterwards...that was quite a few years ago.

Attachments

• IMG_20230127_164406600.jpg
    IMG_20230127_164406600.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 10
Breathing heavily and red gills can be from poor water quality, chemicals or something else in the water poisoning the fish. The fish often become nervous and skittish when there is a water quality issue.

Doxycycline is an antibiotic that will wipe out filter bacteria.

Breathing heavily and red gills can be from poor water quality, chemicals or something else in the water poisoning the fish. The fish often become nervous and skittish when there is a water quality issue.

Doxycycline is an antibiotic that will wipe out filter bacteria.

I have no clue what happened... My readings have been 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 0 nitrates. I use Prime. 25% weekly water changes. I thought that adding fish without quarantining might have dragged something into my tank.

just glad things are looking normal.

Colin and Aiken - thanks for the input

Back
Top Bottom