pH and Ammonia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquamandan

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi, I need to lower my pH and ammonia a bit so I bought some pH down and Ammo Lock (the API products).

My question is do I just add the recommended amount into the aquarium straight from the bottle or should I introduce it in my next water change?

:thanks:

All you need to do for lowering ammonia is do a 50% WC and if it's really high, do a 2nd WC of 50% 2 hours later. Then whenever ammonia is .25 or higher do a WC to lower it.

Why do you need to lower your Ph? What is it now? Using any ph altering chemical IMO is not a good idea. A stable ph is much better than a low one unless you are keeping speciality fish.

I have 14 tiger barbs, everything that I have read says that tiger barbs like a slightly acidic pH and the rep at my LFS said to shoot for 6.8.

Honestly if they are doing fine in your current ph I strongly recommend not messing with trying to lower the ph. The ph chemicals are only temp fixes and the ph rebounds back usually within 24 hours. The chemcials are also very hard on fish. Remember that a constant, stable ph is most important. If you were trying to breed them then lowering the ph might be needed but otherwise don't fix what isn't broken.

Back
Top Bottom