Pink fins!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScalareReb

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
New to breeding angels. These are my first 3 successes. I note that the 2 koi have pink fins. Is this a juvenile characteristic or a fin coloration? I expect it will fade with time. These are 7 weeks old.

Attachments

• 5B66DC5A-C972-4D7E-8DE7-8949787578E7.jpg
    5B66DC5A-C972-4D7E-8DE7-8949787578E7.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 22
You don't normally see pink in freshwater angelfish so I would assume it's juvenile colouration that will fade as the fish grow. However, due to angelfish being heavily inbred, it is possible that it is a colour variant and might stay. Grow them up and see what they look like in 6 months.

You don't normally see pink in freshwater angelfish so I would assume it's juvenile colouration that will fade as the fish grow. However, due to angelfish being heavily inbred, it is possible that it is a colour variant and might stay. Grow them up and see what they look like in 6 months.

Will do. Thanks!

New to breeding angels. These are my first 3 successes. I note that the 2 koi have pink fins. Is this a juvenile characteristic or a fin coloration? I expect it will fade with time. These are 7 weeks old.

That is actually a color that is becoming more common in Juvenile Koi Angels. I had a whole spawn that were peach in color from the time they started to color up until they were about 6 months old and sold off. ( You can see them here:
) This was the Mother: https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/members/41382-albums14898-picture73139.html It might stay through adulthood and it might not.
The lineage of Koi Angels is quite interesting. Back in the 80s, I got a pair of Red Cap Angels. They looked exactly like red cap goldfish only in the shape of an Angelfish. They were one of the 7 lines it took to create the Koi Angelfish. The fry however all looked like Blushing Ghost Angels. Talk about being disappointed!!!! Long story short, they were all sold off as Blushing Ghosts with the exception of 12 that my partner took home. After we lost the hatchery to the Angelfish AIDs epidemic in the 80s, we met up about a year later and he told me that the 12 that he took home finally started looking like Red Caps when they were about 6-8 month old. :facepalm::facepalm: This was why you never saw small or medium Red Caps that looked like Red Caps. Oh the money we lost. :banghead::banghead: :(

Darn -I could not open the video. Would love to see them if you have a still. I’m excited because mom is a mostly white koi and Dad is black- don’t know his geneology. These are the first successful fish I’ve gotten as I am still learning the methods ( see prev posts). She is a machine and has started spawning every 7-11 days. I tried letting them care for the babies and lost 2 sets of spawns- they did ok for 2 nights but the third night no more eggs…
He is not so much of a machine still not fertilizing the whole lot each time.
I have a new male that I brought in, but if I can get this peach line, I think Ikeep going with him.

Darn -I could not open the video. Would love to see them if you have a still. I’m excited because mom is a mostly white koi and Dad is black- don’t know his geneology. These are the first successful fish I’ve gotten as I am still learning the methods ( see prev posts). She is a machine and has started spawning every 7-11 days. I tried letting them care for the babies and lost 2 sets of spawns- they did ok for 2 nights but the third night no more eggs…
He is not so much of a machine still not fertilizing the whole lot each time.
I have a new male that I brought in, but if I can get this peach line, I think Ikeep going with him.

Sadly, this whole line ( and hatchery) was lost from Hurricane Irma. The Mother was one I got from a customer that was sold to him as a Koi but lacked the marbling. I took it because it was the closest thing to my Red Caps I have seen since the 80s. She turned out to be a runt but I figured I could breed that out of any fry that looked like her. Needless to say, that didn't happen. :(
I'm not sure why you had issues with the video. It's marked as public and has been there since the end of 2015. :confused:

Back
Top Bottom