Piranha

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Canterthefishman

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all! My friend wanted a piranha, and i told him i would help him set it up. And I have a few questions. Can one go in a 20 gallon? What should i feed it. How fast will it grow. Can anything go with it?
Thanks

i would advise no, they need to be kept in groups of 3 or more and can get to be 10'' and alot of fish cant be housed with it even in a large tank

I managed a fish store in the 80's while going to college. We sold lots of piranha--mainly to young men that though it would be cool to watch a goldfish get nipped in half. Trust me, they are some of the most boring fish around. And girls don't like them. And they are cowards. Walk near a tank full and they'll batter themselves trying to break through the back glass.

Cheers

Ive had three different kind of them yes u can have other fish with them they have to be bigger then the piranhas and u have to feed the piranhas often there is a fish that the put with piranhas that look just like them all the time I can't remember the name if u need me to find out I can there's only a couple of fish u can and that depends on what kind of piranhas u r getting to red bellys yes all others no gold fish r bad for them them have a lot of diseases any frozen food is fine they r really messy there for in less u have a really good filter u will be cleaning once a week get small ones and get tank mates when getting the piranhas that way they think there the same u will have a better chance of keeping them alive I know a lot about them I had them for 7 years let me know if anymore questions u can Even get them to bit peoples fingers lol

If u get a big one sometimes u have a 50 50 chance the main thing is u have to keep them feed and leave hiding places for other fish that helps out a little

I live in the pacific northwest. Piranha aren't native here. Yet someone caught one while fishing in the yakima river. How did it get there?! Someone had owned it, it got too big, and they released it in the river. I'd have to say not to get one unless you are planning on getting a very large tank that can support it when it is full grown.

I live in the pacific northwest. Piranha aren't native here. Yet someone caught one while fishing in the yakima river. How did it get there?! Someone had owned it, it got too big, and they released it in the river. I'd have to say not to get one unless you are planning on getting a very large tank that can support it when it is full grown.

hes discussing putting this in a 20 gallon tank, i wouldn't house one in here for any period of time, and they need at least 55 gallons

Yep 55 to 75 gall is fine depending on how many u get but trust have found them in the Willamette river in Portland or they caught one in the Johnson creek in Portland and they both were really fat the problem is is that the can adapt to r cool water they r really strong fish

When there baby's that would be fine 20 gallons is not bad but the grow quick so they would grow out of that tank in no time at all

i would advise no, they need to be kept in groups of 3 or more and can get to be 10'' and alot of fish cant be housed with it even in a large tank

+1

At LEAST 20g per piranah (red belly) with great filtration.

Back
Top Bottom