Pitbull Pleco (L26) normal behavior?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pitbull plecos do not get terroritorial towards their own species, unlike a bristlenose. Pitbulls should be kept in groups, but at the very least you should keep two. They are much happier with a buddy. They also must have some driftwood in the tank, it is an important part of their diet. It provides the lignin that is crucial for their gut to function properly. Since you only have a 10 gal I would recommend trading the pleco for another algae eater. They really need a 20 gal minimum. Even that is pushing it for 2 at full size, they poop contantly, even though they are only about 3" at full size. I keep two in a 20 gal that has double filtration. IMO the only algae eaters really suitable for a 10 gal are shrimp such as amano and RCS and nerite snails.

IMHO a CAE should not be housed in a 10 gal - for much of any amount of time really. They get too big and too active and will likely start acting out towards others in a tank that small.

siva said:
Pitbull plecos do not get terroritorial towards their own species, unlike a bristlenose. Pitbulls should be kept in groups, but at the very least you should keep two. They are much happier with a buddy. They also must have some driftwood in the tank, it is an important part of their diet. It provides the lignin that is crucial for their gut to function properly. Since you only have a 10 gal I would recommend trading the pleco for another algae eater. They really need a 20 gal minimum. Even that is pushing it for 2 at full size, they poop contantly, even though they are only about 3" at full size. I keep two in a 20 gal that has double filtration. IMO the only algae eaters really suitable for a 10 gal are shrimp such as amano and RCS and nerite snails.

IMHO a CAE should not be housed in a 10 gal - for much of any amount of time really. They get too big and too active and will likely start acting out towards others in a tank that small.

Im gettin a 29 gal in a year plus he's stopes fighting and has made friends w the algae eater and other pleco

Back
Top Bottom