Plant Hitchhikers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mpkee007

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I had a snail appear in my tank while cycling with plants. So I figured it came from the plants. I was just wondering if anyone knew what kind of snail it is. I'm new to this so I want to know what it is before I act. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20120811_030415.jpg
    IMG_20120811_030415.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 66
I had a snail appear in my tank while cycling with plants. So I figured it came from the plants. I was just wondering if anyone knew what kind of snail it is. I'm new to this so I want to know what it is before I act. Thanks!

:welcome: to AA!(y)

Moving forward, give new plants a dip in Hydrogen Peroxide for a minute ... You'd be surprised at how quick you'll find those dead snails.

This snail generally won't cause any harm, but can eventually reproduce like wildfire. If you start to have an overpopulation and the snails start to die under the substrate and stink up the tank (it happens), then you can control their population by placing a piece of standard lettuce on the side of the tank overnight. The snails will attach to the lettuce, then you just dispose of it in the morning.

If they never cause an overpopulation problem, I would just assume leave him be. Snails are great for cleaning up excess food and things of that nature.

Back
Top Bottom