Plants and Eels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tori79

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I had an aquarium when I was young, and last year got one again. Over all just the normal troubles with my fish, like some just don't seem to thrive, while others don't, same kind of fish added at the same time. So fish just do better than others I guess. I have an Eel and a Dinosaur fish, along with a Chines algae eater, rainbow shark, some barbs, a few gourami. I have two question can I get some catfish, I think they are so cute? Also, I would like to add live plants but the eel will dig them up, and ideas. Thanks, I have 55 gal tank

I had an aquarium when I was young, and last year got one again. Over all just the normal troubles with my fish, like some just don't seem to thrive, while others don't, same kind of fish added at the same time. So fish just do better than others I guess. I have an Eel and a Dinosaur fish, along with a Chines algae eater, rainbow shark, some barbs, a few gourami. I have two question can I get some catfish, I think they are so cute? Also, I would like to add live plants but the eel will dig them up, and ideas. Thanks, I have 55 gal tank
Many plants will thrive well while having to grow from under or through a rock. I know Anacharis species will and there are a few floating plants that are nice. But I have to ask if you're ever kept an eel before. They present 2 problems. One, they will eat smaller tank mates and two, they are great escape artists through the tiniest of spaces around any openings which you could find them on the floor one morning dry and dead. If you like the look of eels, look at pics online of ropefish. They won't be aggressive to your other fish. They are also escape artists, but they have both gills and lungs. They can live for quite some time out of water. So if it escapes, you may have time to find it and put it back in the tank. Just a suggestion.

Many plants will thrive well while having to grow from under or through a rock. I know Anacharis species will and there are a few floating plants that are nice. But I have to ask if you're ever kept an eel before. They present 2 problems. One, they will eat smaller tank mates and two, they are great escape artists through the tiniest of spaces around any openings which you could find them on the floor one morning dry and dead. If you like the look of eels, look at pics online of ropefish. They won't be aggressive to your other fish. They are also escape artists, but they have both gills and lungs. They can live for quite some time out of water. So if it escapes, you may have time to find it and put it back in the tank. Just a suggestion.
I was giving you the alternative in case you might want to switch up the eel. I made the suggestion because you won't have any issues with territorial fights between the catfish and the eel.

Ftime with an eel but had him for almost six months and no problem yet. I have a glass canopy and the only place that has any holes is where the filter is, and the top of that makes it totally enclosed. I noticed that my dinosaur fish has been trying to excape, but I also keep the water about an inch form the top for that reason. So how do I get the plants to grow throw a rock?

Ftime with an eel but had him for almost six months and no problem yet. I have a glass canopy and the only place that has any holes is where the filter is, and the top of that makes it totally enclosed. I noticed that my dinosaur fish has been trying to excape, but I also keep the water about an inch form the top for that reason. So how do I get the plants to grow throw a rock?
Oh...sorry for not explaining. Pet and aquarium shops sell lava rocks that have holes about 1 1/2 drilled out in the center. Some even larger. (1 1/2 inches that is). My bad.

What kind of eel, dinosaur fish, and gourami do you have? What kind of catfish are you thinkinh about getting? There are a number of different species that go by those names with a lot of variety in their size and care, we need a more detailed idea before we could say whether or not it's a good idea.

I have 2 blue three spots gourami, 1 flame dwarf gourami, 2 powder blue dwarf gourami , 1 rainbow shark, 1 peacock eel, 1 dinosaur bichir, and 6 giant danio, and 1 Chinese algae eater. Not sure what kinda of catfish I want, want to know if I could have some, or if that would be too much for my tank. My numbers are good, and everyone seems to be getting along.

I have 2 blue three spots gourami, 1 flame dwarf gourami, 2 powder blue dwarf gourami , 1 rainbow shark, 1 peacock eel, 1 dinosaur bichir, and 6 giant danio, and 1 Chinese algae eater. Not sure what kinda of catfish I want, want to know if I could have some, or if that would be too much for my tank. My numbers are good, and everyone seems to be getting along.
With your tank being 55 gallons, you could still handle a school of 6 cory catfish. They like to graze around the tank together in schooling fashion and rarely exceed 2 inches long. There are many different patterns in the speices...even albinos. They're also good bottom cleaners of left over food.

Back
Top Bottom