Please help Identify this lil Guy...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GIES2525

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am working on getting my work tank back up and running after a terrible outbreak of Algea. (Nobody was taking care of it before me.) I finally got it under control, and im still a little worried about this guy. WHat is he? and is he to big for a 20 GAllon tank? He acts like he is. Whenever i turn on the light he freaks out, and runs into the walls. So please help...

silver2.jpg

Sorry for the Attachment, i cant find the URL of my pics.

Attachments

• Silverdollar.jpg
    Silverdollar.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 98
Do you have a larger picture? The pictures filename is silverdollar.jpg so maybe a silver dollar? I can't tell, the pic is 1"x1" :(

It is probably one of the Metynnis Silver Dollars.....It can get quite big if it is fed properly(lots of veggies).........They are skittish fish and can hurt themselves when they are startled.......How big is it now?....Can you increase the light in the room before turning the tank light on.so the fish will not have the sudden burst of light from the light fixture?

There is a bigger pic, i figured it out!

Well its in our office, and the tank is in an area where it gets a ton of light during the day, even without the fishtank light on. (thats why i think we had an algea problem.) So its not necessarily a big lighting change that i notice, but maybe it is to him.

It is a Metynnis Argenteus....Put a leafy green piece of romaine lettuce in there for it to munch on occasionally.

Ok, ill try that lettuce. And do you think i need to relocate him soon out of a 20 gallon, or do you think **** do alright? The only other fish i have in with him right now are three bleeding heart tetras, which dont mess with him at all.

"or do you think **** do alright?" I have no clue what you mean by this.

If he is ok and you like him, leave him in the tank.

lol, that was a he'll, but i guess if you dont add the appostraphe(?) its a curse word.

Im not sure thats a very logical answer about leaving him in there or not, but i guess ill wait to see how he acts for a while.

OK, thats what i fgured. He actually looks to big for it already, but i wanted to make sure. THANKS!

Back
Top Bottom