Pleco for a 30g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BLUElobster99

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok so i want a cool looking pleco for a 30g

Im just going to set a price cap at $40 before anyone suggests a zebra pleco or something

Btw i already have an electric blue and a mexican dwarf crayfish in the tank but both are surprisingly docile towards my common pleco (which i will sadly have to say goodbye to) ive had him for 5 years, i bought him when i was first getting into aquariums so i had no idea how big he would get

The more common plecos for a 30 gallon tank are bristlenose plecos, pitbull plecos, ad clown plecos. But there are hundreds of species of plecos out there. I'm sure someone else will add to the list.

Yeah im worried about getting something TOO small or docile because i have two crayfish in the tank

well i would not say plecos are docile, they will defend themselves if need be. and both crayfish and plecos are nocturnal so i think it would be ok.

Yeah im worried about getting something TOO small or docile because i have two crayfish in the tank

I would definitely advise getting one that is close to full grown. During hurricane Issac I had to move a still young marbled crayfish into my 56 gallon as the 5 gallon my crays were in crashed and I lost all but the one I still have. At the time she was maybe two and a half inches long, maybe smaller, and she ended up killing and eating my favorite of my baby bristlenose plecos, my longfin albino. The plec was maybe an inch and a half long at the time, and very slender. She was the smallest of them. However, I got my plecos smaller than most that you will find in a fish store because I got mine from a breeder on aquabid and they were still very young. Just use caution and common sense!

I bought a 2nd hand tank with, among other things a common pleco, a gibbiceps and two blue crayfish. The crayfish weren't as big as the plecos, but they claimed every cave in the tank, and continually nipped the plecos tails and fins. The poor plecos got no peace, so the crays got rehomed.

Here are some i really like.

Sunshine pleco

Spotted_L014_Pleco.jpeg

Blue phantom

Spotted_L128_Pleco.jpeg

Red fin royal pleco
Striped_L027_Xingu_Pleco.jpeg

Green phantom

Spotted_L200_Pleco.jpeg

Dragon fin pleco
Spotted_L091_Pleco.jpeg

Whiptail catfish

Whiptail_Whiptail Catfish.jpeg

Titanicus pleco

Spotted_L273_Pleco.jpeg

Mosaic zebra pleco
Striped_L318_Pleco.jpeg

Spotted medusa pleco

Pleco_L255.jpeg

Albino longfin bristle nose

Pleco_Albino_Bristlenose_Pleco_Longfin.jpeg

Queen arabesque pleco

Striped_L260_Pleco.jpeg

I guess it turned out to be more than a few haha but they are super cool :)

Would the phantom fit in a 30gal?

I also have two crayfish but they are actually rather docile and have not bothered my past plecos but would the phantom hold its ground?

Would the phantom fit in a 30gal?

I also have two crayfish but they are actually rather docile and have not bothered my past plecos but would the phantom hold its ground?

Ya it would be fine might get a bit too big eventually there are some dwarf sized plecos if you would prefer a smaller one

Back
Top Bottom