Pleco question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Koikeeper99

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My 10" common pleco has a black circle on its head looks like its just changing colors is it normal?

Posting a picture would probably help a whole lot. I don't have any plecos so I have no idea, sorry. I hope someone can help you out

I have two bristle nose plecs that get different coloured patches on it, but looks like nothing to worry about. The patches on mine are paler, as mine are pretty dark plecs.
I'm not concerned about the patches on mine but posting a pic if you can would be best I think :)

Most plecos change colour depending on mood, surroundings or territorial display its perfectly normal just keep an eye on it to make sure it isn't red or inflamed or furry looking.

Yea bad picture so it's hard to say but it doesn't look like anything to worry about.

I'm not sure I have never owned a bristle nose myself but I would think the whole colour would change unless the head changes as they start to get "bristles"?

Shane87 said:
I'm not sure I have never owned a bristle nose myself but I would think the whole colour would change unless the head changes as they start to get "bristles"?

Its a common

Oh sorry lol the pattern in the pic looks like a bristle nose... Then I would say yea they darken up at they grow because I have a baby one and its a light colour ATM but I have only ever seen the bigger ones almost black or my gibbiceps always changes colour depending on the colour he's resting on maybe it could be that but I haven't seen this with my common yet.

Yeah thats what i was thinking just color change but same at the lfs all 1 foot+ commons plecos are usually black/dark color

Most plecos change colour depending on mood, surroundings or territorial display its perfectly normal just keep an eye on it to make sure it isn't red or inflamed or furry looking.

This exactly.

I've found that the most notable inconsistency in their coloration happens right after I turn their light on for the day, but after a while their color returns to a more even distribution.

image-1980947641.jpg

Some better ones but sorry about the other fish they wanted to be in the picture to i guess.

Attachments

• image-3087176758.jpg
    image-3087176758.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 79
Shes acting normal so all is ok. She now chills on the other side of the tank so i dont know what thats about. Maybe just a move

That is cool! I hope it's not a disease because if its spots turned orange that would be an epic pleco :D never heard of this before.

Back
Top Bottom