Poppa's Tanks n Stuff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I assume artificial rearing would be near the same as rams for them???

Sent from my LGLS991 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Should be no need for artificial rearing with cacs, they are awesome parents. My advice is, let her care for the fry for a month after they start swimming. She will be just mean enough to keep the male at Bay and give her time to recover for the next spawn.

Sent from my LGLS770 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah i was reading that the fems are ferocious guardians of the fry.

Yeah i was reading that the fems are ferocious guardians of the fry.

They are indeed, that's the problem with keeping breeding pairs in community tanks. The females will run them selves ragged defending the fry. Watch her lead the the troop around and give them cues on where to go. If you see her appear.to eat one it's just a relocation tool. They're truly amazing little fish and very entertaining to watch.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

They are indeed, that's the problem with keeping breeding pairs in community tanks. The females will run them selves ragged defending the fry. Watch her lead the the troop around and give them cues on where to go. If you see her appear.to eat one it's just a relocation tool. They're truly amazing little fish and very entertaining to watch.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If dad's doing his job, she shouldn't be running ragged. If he's being a bum he shouldn't get anymore lovin

Hey poppa, was wondering if you had a good source on some hansbaenchi females? I've been checking aquabid with no luck.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I do... Lemme find the info and ill pm ya.

Check out fishfreaks in Omaha, Nebraska. Theyre doing good things with cichlids up there. 1 of owners is family of a friend.

Now the moment of truth.... Going up to look at the eggs!

Wow... Looks like 70% have fungused. Abt 25 or so still viable. Should be wigglers by afternoon if they're still any good. I did not use MB this go round. I wanted to see what difference just adding the egg cage would make.

Question.... Would uv sterilizer light help combat fungusing eggs?

Question.... Would uv sterilizer light help combat fungusing eggs?

IMO I would think it would have to be of exceptional contact time and strength?
Like trying to kill a parasite most UVs just don't touch every drop of water so some bacteria still survive...
Hoping the remaining eggs will hold up.

Reason i ask is that any eggs that get laid in "big girl" hardly any fungus... Which is strange because its heavily stocked & planted. But its the only tank with a UV light.

Reason i ask is that any eggs that get laid in "big girl" hardly any fungus... Which is strange because its heavily stocked & planted. But its the only tank with a UV light.

What's the flow like in "big girl" compared to the breeding tank?

Pretty solid med flow i would say. Its got 2 fluval FX6.

Im tempted to take the eggs and. MB dip them next time. A few breeders recommend MB in the tank with pair n eggs.

My eggs always went to fungus when I used cages...
Never had much hatching,or wigglers , but fungus eggs were rare..
I used a plastic cages since my silly fish kept laying on heaters (had 3 in tank!) for what it is worth..

So Gillie could the addition of humic acid be something that might work?

When there is enough water flow in the tank, eggs don't usually fungus as bad. This week, I've had 2 Angel spawns now hatch with no antifungal at all in the water but 1 had heavy air flow in a jar and the other was in a tank with a small internal power filter and airstone. Both spawns had dead eggs but neither had any fungused eggs until after the live eggs hatched. On a side note, there was a slight reading of ammonia in both tanks after the eggs hatched. My guess is this had something to do with the fungus growing but I can't tell you which came first, the fungus or the ammonia.

As a general rule, if the fish were successful spawners in one tank but not in another, the setup in the other tank is usually to blame. :whistle:

This pair hasn't been successful yet. They're young and only abt 12ish wks as a pair...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom