Poppa's Tanks n Stuff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Question.... Would uv sterilizer light help combat fungusing eggs?

Sent from my LGLS991 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It's my understanding that the UV light only kills what passes in front of the light so it shouldn't have any direct effect on the eggs because you don't want 24/7 exposure to the UV rays for the eggs or the parents HOWEVER, it does suggest that the water quality in the big tank was better possibly due to the UV and the plants which leads to my closing comment in the previous post.:whistle: Think in terms of the eggs in the cages not getting enough water flow by the parents and their inability to remove any dead eggs before they contaminate the rest. This means YOU have to do more of the parent's job while keeping the parents there and involved ( as best they can be) until the eggs hatch. That would mean either using a small internal filter (or power head) as I did or an airstone closer to the eggs. (y)

Point taken, wise one. In the "big girl" the uv us mounted under the tank. Its 4ft long and resembles a bazooka. Both cannisters run the intake through it. So essentially ALL water that passes through the filter passes through the uv as well.

Point taken, wise one. In the "big girl" the uv us mounted under the tank. Its 4ft long and resembles a bazooka. Both cannisters run the intake through it. So essentially ALL water that passes through the filter passes through the uv as well.

Bazooka? 4' is a baby. :lol: I'm used to using 8'/ 6 bulb ( a.k.a. The CANNON) and 4'/ 10 bulb units ( a.k.a. The Gatling Gun). :ROFLMAO:

But seriously, the key is to make sure the water flow is slow enough in front of the bulb to kill off what passes in front of the bulb. If you run the water too quickly through the unit, you reduce it's effectiveness. Every unit should have a maximum flow rating and you would be wise to flow slower than that for better efficiency. In some cases, depending on your flow rate, it would be better to use a side flow through the UV rather than all the water going through the unit. It's not AS efficient but better at killing what goes through it. (y)

BABIES..... I cant get a pic yet. But ive found 5 so far.

Orange flash pisto cac has wigglers in her cave.

Wow... Looks like 70% have fungused. Abt 25 or so still viable. Should be wigglers by afternoon if they're still any good. I did not use MB this go round. I wanted to see what difference just adding the egg cage would make.

BABIES..... I cant get a pic yet. But ive found 5 so far.

:confused:
I am embarrassed to ask who the father is????
I'm thinking you have seen the pisto fry??

Discus wigglers today. Orange flash pisto has some too.

Thanks guys, but thats the easy part. Next step is absorbing egg sac and attachment to parent.

Just came home to free swimming GBR fry, I'm stoked! I'm pretty sure raising these frisbees is a bit harder though right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom