Potential Newcomers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

derail

Aquarium Advice Freak
Allo all,

The local wal*mart in my town (I know, terrible place to get fish from) is giving away the tropical fish they have since their filters went out last night and the guy that fixes them won't be in until next tuesday -_-. Either way, I acquired a pair of gourami that I hoped to put with my community tank of guppy's, molly's and platys. My concern is this, I received a three spot gourami and a dwarf gourami. The three spot is female and I'm not sure how to tell with the dwarf.

I've read that dwarf gourami are relatively peaceful and female three spot gourami are as well. Will these fish peacefully coexist with my livebearer population, or should I donate them to the pet store in town?

Note: The dwarf gourami doesn't seem too fond of the three spot gourami lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Male dwarf gouramis are shiny light blue and orange. Females are shiny but not so colorful.

Yeah, this dwarf is bright red striped and metallic blue where there isn't red. And he wasn't a fan of that three spot gourami at all, so I've placed them in separate tanks; a 15g male guppy and molly tank is where the dwarf went, and a thirty gallon female guppy, molly and platy community tank. Will this work for these fish or should I find them new homes? I'm really concerned about aggression. And yeah, I should have done more research but it was a spur of the moment thing esp. with wal*mart giving away fish lol.

derail said:
Yeah, this dwarf is bright red striped and metallic blue where there isn't red. And he wasn't a fan of that three spot gourami at all, so I've placed them in separate tanks; a 15g male guppy and molly tank is where the dwarf went, and a thirty gallon female guppy, molly and platy community tank. Will this work for these fish or should I find them new homes? I'm really concerned about aggression. And yeah, I should have done more research but it was a spur of the moment thing esp. with wal*mart giving away fish lol.

They should be fine in the tanks they are in. Just watch, and if there are problems with aggression then rehome them.

Back
Top Bottom