Power Outage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JenE

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
They are predicting ice storms this week with possible long term power outages. So, of course, I am freaking out about how to deal with my 6 week old 29 gallon tank if we get power outages!! What has worked for you all in the past? Is there any hope of maintaining the bacteria in my filter?

If are really serious about planning for an emergency, you could buy a battery operated air pump, lots and lots of batteries and make a corner submerisible filter.

While not ideal in the long run, it would definately keep the cycle going and the fish alive. Better than no filtration in a long-term power outage.

I have a Honda Generator and a long long extension cord for such situations haha. Although I have to deal with hurricanes more than ice storms.

Battery backup units work well. For the 2 to 3 hour outage.

were going to get 24" here. And 11/2 Ice.

You can also run a regular airpump off a 12V auto battery & an inverter (or a powerbox). This will last longer than the regular batteries. A small HOB might run for a while with this set up (but not heaters).

You can have several batteries to last you days, or in a pinch, charge up the batteries in your (running) car. <Make sure you know what you are doing if you are going with "naked" batteries ... or you risk fire & explosions! Some powerboxes have capacity to be recharged from a car power outlet. That would be the safer way to go.>

Make sure your main filter media remains wet. <Take the media out & float them in the tank, preferable close to the airpump output so some water movement gets to them.>

It is good insurance to have some Prime (or other ammonia binder) to use if you lose the filter during the storm & ammonia startes to go up.

More problematic is heating .... If you lose heat in the house as well, you might get into major fish loss due to cold. First thing to do is to insulate the tank (wrap in blankets). Some have heat water (in outdoor BBQ, etc.) & either do pwc's with the heated water, or put the hot water in a bottle & put it in the tank to keep the water warm(er). Either way, with an extended blackout, it will be a lot of work checking the tank, changing/heating water, etc. A generator is prob the easiest solution if this is a frequent occurrence.

100% agree with jsong. keeping the heat in is the most important. along with the other ideas.

We r expecting a horrible ice storm and blizzard here in Missouri, they e saying our electric will go out, I hav a 125 gallon and a 30 gallon, any advice one what to do? Cant burn candles in the same room because I hav a cockatoo

I went to work to get my generator. I'm ready now.

Computer battery backups work well, for keeping a tank going, after power failure. I'm in Missouri too. Freezing rain has already started.

Hopefully Amren is ready.

If you don't have a generator wrap the tanks up now, or at the very beginning of the storm, and try to trap all the current heat in there.

I've never had to deal with a power-outage more than 5 hours. A blanket wrap around my tanks was sufficient for that, only lost about 1/2 degree of temperature.

They are telling us we are getting 1 1/2 ice and then 12" to 24" snow Wooooo HOOOOO

Luckily we have avoided a power outage so far! Thanks for all the advice. MY husband figured out that with what we already had we could run the tank for a little bit every hour using our car (with inverter and long extension cord). So far so good. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Yeah we just got brushed by the storm here in Des Moines and everyone still panicked. 45 minutes to clear off the driveway & sidewalks (with a 2-stage 8 HP 26" snowblower) but that was a weekly event last year. This year here has been a cakewalk.

Back
Top Bottom