Powerhead-5:Snails-0

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

justrelax

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Five times now I have looked in my tank to find one of the snails stuck to the powerhead by the shell. I have to reach in there and pull them off. The first one is still in rough shape because when it got stuck it somehow managed to turn it's foot into the suction part...
I've moved any tall plants away, but they still just climb up the glass and get stuck!
I really want to keep the powerhead because my hillstream loach absolutely loves hanging out in the current. Any suggestions to keep my snails away from the suction end?

I've never dealt with power heads, so I don't know the mechanics of them, but I use a pre-filter type sponge on all my filter intakes. I lost 2 snails from them getting caught in the intake before I took that step. It does lower the flow a bit, but my filters are adjustable so I turn them up. You could also try pantyhose over the intake, but they clog VERY easily.

Pre-filter (quick-filters from Marineland) sponges work nicely. They aren't that expensive, and you get more surface for bacteria to grow.

Back
Top Bottom