Product information

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scarf

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi,

I'm thinking about getting a Coralife 150w 20,000k HQI Metal Halide Pendant for my aquarium. I was wondering has any1 used this (or a similar) product and could they give me some thoughts about them (would they recommend, etc)?

Thanks

Are you going to be using it on one of your current tanks? Unless it's for a larger tank, that's a heck of a lot of light.

What size aquarium are you thinking about using this pendent for? I could see were this product would be usefull with a large hexagon aquarium.. like a 60 gallon Hex.. If you were to want to have plants.. but the bulb is in the wrong color range.. 20,000K is really a reef tank bulb (for coarls, the light is very blue).. You would want one in the 5500-6700K range.. Im almost certain they make them in 150 watts.. HTH

Thanks for the replies.

In hindsight that idea is a bit impractical. I have a bad habit of spontaneous ideas/shopping somtimes.. lol. The reason why I thought of that metal halide was that I would use it temporarily for my plants until I saved enough money for a marine.

But that will take a while. I'm thinking more sanely now :) I'm thinking about getting Coralife's 96W 20" lighting fixture:

Energy Savers 20 Inch Aqualight (96W - 4-Tube)

Click to Zoom In
Manufacturer: Energy Savers
Coralife 20" Aqualight™ Deluxe Series - Double Linear Strip with 96 watt 50/50™ 4-Tube (quad) Compact Fluorescent Lamp w/ Square Pin Base and Cooling Fans

96 watt 50/50™ 4-Tube (quad) Compact Fluorescent Lamp Included
Built-in Ballast and Cooling Fans
Sleek Aluminum Housing
Highly-Polished Reflector
Acrylic Lens Cover
On/Off switch
Dimensions: 20" x 7" x 2.5"
Mounting Legs NOT Included

Wondering if that would be practical for plant growth? And is Coralife a reputable brand name? Thanks.

I would say that Coralife is a reputable brand. :D Which tank is this for? The 20 gal tank? If so, 96 Watts is approximately 5 Watts per gal. Are you using CO2?

Cool. yep it would be for the 20g. If I do get it I'm definately using CO2 ;) Atm I'm only using the stock light which is only giving me like 1 wpg :oops:

Actually, would something like Seachem Flourish Excel be ok? Or should I really be getting my construction gloves on and building a DIY one?

Excel is fine but it will start getting expensive after a while. DIY is cheap and easy, I even manged to make one.

Back
Top Bottom