Purigen and Peat. Can they work together?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

undbulsu

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Will Purigen defeat the positive effects of peat in an aquarium? Or will it only remove the slight discoloration? I'm going to try to get my keyhole cichlids to breed and I want to add peat to my filter. But I also run the purigen. Should I just remove the Purigen?

That is a very good question undbulsu. I checked the Seachem website (which is one of the best product sites out there) and the only info I could find that was even slightly related to your question was the statement that Purigen, "is superior to carbon in removing organics and not having negative impacts." That doesn't tell us a lot about how it might work with peat. I would recommend that you contact Seachem with your question. They have an excellent staff and are more than happy to help answer user's questions regarding their products. Here is a link to contact them:

http://www.seachem.com/support/contact.html

I would love to know what they have to say about this topic as I use Purigen myself, but have not tried it with peat yet. Keep us posted :)

Here is the reply I received from seachem tech support:

"Purigen will remove the tannins from the water column and help keep your tank clear. The peat will still effectively soften the water and lower the pH while using Purigen. "

Sounds like the best of both worlds. I'm going to give it a try starting next week with Fluval granular peat in my cannister filter in addition to the Purigen. I'll try to keep close track of the water parameters and post them as they change.

Back
Top Bottom