QT has no sand/gravel - bad for cories?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sallyjano

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Next trip to the fish store I'm hoping to get some cory cats. Either panda or emerald.

My QT has no gravel or sand right now which I know if fine for most fish but I'm assuming that would not be good for cories? Should I get sand or gravel for them?

They should be fine, I raise Cory eggs/fry in bare bottom systems.

It will be easier for you to observe eating and faecal matter in a bare bottom system, just look at the tanks in a fish store, most display (for sale) tanks are bare bottom.

They should be fine, I raise Cory eggs/fry in bare bottom systems.

It will be easier for you to observe eating and faecal matter in a bare bottom system, just look at the tanks in a fish store, most display (for sale) tanks are bare bottom.

Oh ok awesome, thanks!

They should be fine... Just make sure they eat. Better to have nothing than sharp edge substrate.

Ok thanks. The QT has nothing - the display has gravel. I don't think it's sharp. Would a store sell sharp gravel?? I will check.

It was your pic of your panda cory cats that made me want them :)

I can't find pandas like yours but my LFS has emerald which are also pretty.

Most gravel sold by LFS is epoxy coated/colored... So it's not sharp.

But if you take gravel you find outside, it may be too sharp/big for cories...Cories require a substrate that is made of sand to 3-4mm gravel. They must be able to move it, to find food under the substrate...

Yes, smooth substrate is key. That's a well made point.

I have kept Cory in both types, sand and gravel, both smooth. For years at a time in each type.
They seem to prefer sand, gravel sees no issues, it's a common misnomer that gravel will wear the barbel when in actual fact it is bacterial infection picked up from dirty bottom tanks. Now I usually have mixed zonal divides of each, with a predominantly sandy substrate. My Agassizii are in only sand, the paleatus are in a mixed bed system.

You will see redness as a first sign at the barbel tips. The fish will recover if dealt with promptly. (Treat as external bacterial infection)

Yes fish stores do sell different grades of gravel, not all of it is river washed.

Edit-Cory cats can be observed sifting particulate matter (sand) and ejecting sand through the operculum. I would consider this normal behaviour for these fish.

Yes, smooth substrate is key. That's a well made point.

I have kept Cory in both types, sand and gravel, both smooth. For years at a time in each type.
They seem to prefer sand, gravel sees no issues, it's a common misnomer that gravel will wear the barbel when in actual fact it is bacterial infection picked up from dirty bottom tanks. Now I usually have mixed zonal divides of each, with a predominantly sandy substrate. My Agassizii are in only sand, the paleatus are in a mixed bed system.

You will see redness as a first sign at the barbel tips. The fish will recover if dealt with promptly. (Treat as external bacterial infection)

Yes fish stores do sell different grades of gravel, not all of it is river washed.

Edit-Cory cats can be observed sifting particulate matter (sand) and ejecting sand through the operculum. I would consider this normal behaviour for these fish.

Thanks I'll keep my eyes open for it!

I have started using play sand for children's play pits, this went into my systems around October last year, now it's in three systems. I have had no health issues, not even with the clown loach. I would deem it safe for use and very cheap too!

It needs a good rinse! Then rinse it again!

You will get cloudyness but it clears, I have some pictures of this.

Thanks. I do a PWC once a week and vacuum each time so I assume that keeps it fairly clean.

( I thought my bucket would be the most important piece of equipment :ROFLMAO:)

Turns out the faithful G vac is!

All tanks are different so I can't say for sure it's enough, regular testing will create a schedule for each system, follow the schedule created by test result data. Use a diary or notebook. Once you are settled into a routine, then it can be considered safe to ease up on tests just periodically checking, providing you stick to the regime.

Re-test with each new addition, test after significant growth.

(I do this)

Factors such as fish species/mass, diet (volume of food inc.) and filter efficiency all play parts here that will change each tanks requirements. Good quality manufactured food is typically better for a system than bloodworms for example.

Varied diet is important.

Back
Top Bottom