QT question - new fish with existing shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aa79606

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone,

I bought a used aquarium for $5 off of craigslist today to use as a QT tank. I filled it up in my bathtub to be sure it holds water, and so far it does, but the silicone is peeling, so I'm concerned that it's not sound. I know how to strip it & reseal the tank, but that will take some time, and I need the QT today.

I have an established, planted 10g tank with guppy fry, blue pearl shrimp, and snails... if I removed the guppy fry, could I use this tank as a temporary QT for a new acquisition? Are there any potential/probable risks to my shrimp?

Any advice is greatly appreciated... my new fish are swimming in a 5 gallon bucket, awaiting your wisdom!! :fish1: :fish1:

Amy

In all honesty ... a 5gal bucket's all you need for the moment .... just attach a heater, an air-stone and your all set. It may not be the most ideal ... but some members use plastic storage bins, coolers etc for QT .... serves the same purpose as a glass tank ... except you don't get to see the fish from the sides.

Thanks for the quick response J! So how long can they stay in a bucket with just a bubbler? I'm concerned about water quality issues... but I want to be sure they are healthy before I put them with my other fish.

My plan was to just use an established filter on the QT tank, no bubbler because I don't have an extra air pump at the moment, and no heater either. It's hot enough here that my tanks hold steady around 76-78 degrees without any help this time of year.

Also I'm curious, can a sick/infected fish pass health problems to shrimp?

Amy

I wouldn't see any issues as far as fish passing illnesses to shrimp, however if the fish would happen to become sick, any treatment that you use might just cause some harm to your shrimp (depends on the type of sickness and the type of treatment).

I'd try to reseal that 5 gallon tank. Honestly though, it might not be worth the effort. I know a lot of PetCo's are having the dollar per gallon sale, so a five gallon tank might cost you five bucks. If there's one in your area, you should call and find out

It's a 29 gallon tank that cost me $5!!!!! Great deal, but not so great as far as being a quick-fix. I guess I will just leave them in the 5 gallon bucket for now. :(

Also we don't have a petco in my town either. Even if we did, if I walk through the door with one more fish tank, there is NO telling what my husband will do.

I wouldn't see any issues as far as fish passing illnesses to shrimp, however if the fish would happen to become sick, any treatment that you use might just cause some harm to your shrimp (depends on the type of sickness and the type of treatment).

I'd try to reseal that 5 gallon tank. Honestly though, it might not be worth the effort. I know a lot of PetCo's are having the dollar per gallon sale, so a five gallon tank might cost you five bucks. If there's one in your area, you should call and find out

aa79606 said:
Thanks for the quick response J! So how long can they stay in a bucket with just a bubbler? I'm concerned about water quality issues... but I want to be sure they are healthy before I put them with my other fish.

My plan was to just use an established filter on the QT tank, no bubbler because I don't have an extra air pump at the moment, and no heater either. It's hot enough here that my tanks hold steady around 76-78 degrees without any help this time of year.

Also I'm curious, can a sick/infected fish pass health problems to shrimp?

Amy

I used a rubbermaid container, stuck a heater in and hung a filter on the back. Worked great.

aa79606 said:
It's a 29 gallon tank that cost me $5!!!!! Great deal, but not so great as far as being a quick-fix. I guess I will just leave them in the 5 gallon bucket for now. :(

Also we don't have a petco in my town either. Even if we did, if I walk through the door with one more fish tank, there is NO telling what my husband will do.

Oh sorry, I had misunderstood. I thought you had a 5 gallon tank, not a 5 dollar tank lol. Good deal!

And as far as the QT goes, if you really gotta get it done in a bind, I'd use the bucket, at least until you could reseal that new tank.

No worries, Patterson! :) For the night, I guess I'm gonna leave them in the bucket with an airstone.

I'm trying to think if I've got a rubbermaid container around here that will work for a while... I think I do... tho it will no doubt need to be cleaned out.

Then I guess I will get started on stripping the silicone in the "new" 29 gallon. I kinda wish it would leak, just so I know it HAS to be resealed, and I won't have that nagging feeling that I'm about to spend XXX hours resealing it unneccessarily. Plus it's still full and sitting in my bathtub, and now I've gotta go dump it so we can shower in the morning. :)

Back
Top Bottom