Qt tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bgmann12

Aquarium Advice Freak
Would it be a good idea to set up a qaurintine tank? If it is, any tips on making one out of plastic storage bins would be helpfuland also recommended filters for it that I can run in the main tank while not using the qt tank to speed up the processor the cycle. Thanks

An adjustable heater I want to get for mine. If it's ich I want to crank it up and bacterial I will want to drop it.

I've got a 20g long QT that I bought a long time ago when Petco had one of their $1/g sales. A 10g is also fine. Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart, etc is a good place to score any of those plastic totes. Preferably a clear and not dark colored style. As Delapool said, an adjustable 50w is perfectly fine. I would go with a simple sponge filter/air bubbler setup. Very cheap but effective. Also, if you're not aware, a true QT setup has ALL it's own tools to prevent any cross contamination from tank to tank.
hth

This is just to watch new fish ahead of putting them in my tank. But thanks for the ideas.

I just converted my 10g to a quarantine tank. I took the sponge filter out if my 90 and put it in, it also has a HOB filter, and an adjustable heater. The sponge filter really should be enough on it's own. And I had to build my own cartridge for the HOB filter because if your treating in a quarantine tank, you usually have to remove the carbon.

It also has NO substrate, and a little cave.
I have a fish in there now that I'm trying to sellImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398017721.424767.jpg
In the picture I actually took the sponge filter out so he'd have more room.

Can you guys make a list of mandatory things that I need and what u would recommend preferably less than $40 for it all. Thanks.

Heater, filtration. Done.

That's really all you need

Uh.... close but there's more. A QT is totally separate in all regards. Heater, filter, nets. Depending how you feed, if you give frozen and defrost it in a cup or Tupperware, that needs to be separate also. It's also recommended that the QT tank be in an entirely different room as it's possible (unlikely but possible) of an airborne transmission. Yes that can happen. You will (should) be doing WC's so another set of that equipment for that as well to take away any potential for cross contamination. You're gonna need to test that water as well but a separate set of vials is not necessary. Simply use a glass to take the tank water out and pour it in the test vials.

Edit : IMO, I would lose the cave also. As this is a QT, was it previously a tank in operation and did you bleach it to be sure it was clean ?

Uh.... close but there's more. A QT is totally separate in all regards. Heater, filter, nets. Depending how you feed, if you give frozen and defrost it in a cup or Tupperware, that needs to be separate also. It's also recommended that the QT tank be in an entirely different room as it's possible (unlikely but possible) of an airborne transmission. Yes that can happen. You will (should) be doing WC's so another set of that equipment for that as well to take away any potential for cross contamination. You're gonna need to test that water as well but a separate set of vials is not necessary. Simply use a glass to take the tank water out and pour it in the test vials.

If you do cross contaminate, rinse things of with super hot water extensively.

If you do cross contaminate, rinse things of with super hot water extensively.

That's not really acceptable. Anaerobic bacteria will only die off at temps of 65°C (149°f) for sustained times of at least 30 mins. Average hot water heater is not set this high and the best bet is 10% bleach method.

That's not really acceptable. Anaerobic bacteria will only die off at temps of 65°C (149°f) for sustained times of at least 30 mins. Average hot water heater is not set this high and the best bet is 10% bleach method.

There must be some heinous infections then, glad I haven't had to deal with them.

What heater and filters would u guys recommend for a 5-10 gallon qt.

Could I keep it unfilled until I need it then fill it with water from the main tank when time to use it.

50w adjustable heater is fine. I would just use a sponge or an inexpensive HOB. If your treating with meds, add no carbon. I keep one running all the time. If not, it's not gonna be cycled and ready when needed.

Don't know about a plastic storage bin. What ever you use has to be clear enough that you can observe if you have disease. Some is hard to see. Just being able to see from the top is not good enough.

Back
Top Bottom