quarantine tank questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tarpon

Aquarium Advice Addict
So im beginning to think i need to set up a quarantine out of my spare 10 gallon. I have a few questions on how to do it.

How long do i keep the new fish in there?
And Do i treat with any meds while they are there?
Is it really necesary?

Most people say anywhere from a week to two months.
I'm not sure, but I would think only if you see infections.
It's not, but it's good to use as it's a precaution for any diseases or such that you can't see that may break out in the display tank suddenly and it can be used as a hospital tank when the fish get sick. Personally, I don't have one, but I wish I did. I don't think five gallons is a big enough QT so I wish I'd gotten bigger.

So im beginning to think i need to set up a quarantine out of my spare 10 gallon. I have a few questions on how to do it.

How long do i keep the new fish in there?
And Do i treat with any meds while they are there?
Is it really necesary?

A 10 gal is a good size for a new stock QT which should be about 1 month for purchased fish ...up to 2 months for wild caught fish. That time from should allow for any disease it may have to show. Generally you don't need to treat with meds unless you see an outbreak.

QT can be indispensable when you have an established tank and you want to add new fish. All it takes is for one small fish with ich in your DT to wreak havoc on your stock.

If the quarantine is established and stable i thought diseases, especially ich, were less likely to show?

tarpon said:
If the quarantine is established and stable i thought diseases, especially ich, were less likely to show?

You never know. Some are parasites that adapt to conditions and can only be gotten rid of by killing them. Some fish are also unhealthy to begin with due to inbreeding and weak lineage (ex. neon tetras) so are likelier to get disease.

Yes and no I suppose. Aside from genetic diseases which we have no control over, most fish get illnesses due to stress. An establish stable tank with proper maintenance should remove poor water quality stress.

However, fish may get stressed just by the transportation from the LFS to your tank, or from the new environment of your tank, to even new tankmates. So it's in these cases where a QT for new stock is most helpful.

Really, stress is only needed to establish foothold for some diseases. Once it establishes itself, it will continue to manifest in a stable, healthy environment, and can spread to other healthy fish.

Shrimp cant get most diseases from fish right?
Would it be okay to use it as a shrimp tank while its not in use? And maybe 1 other fish to keep it cycled then switch him to my dt while its being used as a qt?

Back
Top Bottom