Question about feeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

t.h327

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi! I've been fish keeping for a while now but there's one thing I'm still unsure of. I don't have any noticeable algae build up on my tank but I find if I give my algae eater an algae tab every couple days he slacks off on cleaning the glass... Not to the point where it's noticeable from a far... But I can surely notice it when I'm up close and feeding the rest of them... How often do you feed your algae eaters? Mine is a 1 year old bristlenose pleco.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1390370527070.jpg
    1390370527070.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 61
I don't use the waffer foods as they are very messy and release micro portions. I'd feed him 1/2 a blanched green pea 2 x weekly. Good food, but he will still be hungry.

As plecos mature they will start to eat much less algae, most algae eaters only actually eat algae as juveniles.

They need their diet supplemented, they love courgettes, cucumbers and other vegetables and obviously the algae wafers.

If they don't get enough food some get a nasty habit of sucking the slime coats off their tank mates so you definitely want to make sure they are well fed!

Back
Top Bottom