Question about Platies and Guppies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rubysoho

Aquarium Advice Addict
When I started I had no interest in guppies or platies, but lately I've been taking a liking to them. I'm curious to know about people's experiences with platies and guppies. Right now my LFS has some awesome looking orange and black platies, and they always get a few pretty tailed guppies in. I'm more interested in those platies.

Are they hard to keep (I've heard yes and no)? What is their pregnancy cycle? I'm thinking about putting four (1 male and 3 females) in my 55 gallon. Would this work? (the fish list is in my signature) Would it be wrong if I let the other fish eat the babies? I don't think I'd want to raise all of them.

Thanks guys!

platies and guppies are easy to keep, they are very tolerant to almost any water condition( in the relative norm) there breeding cycle depends on the female, however the cycle will probable be that the female will give birth once every two to three months(it could be a little faster though) the fish should do great in the aquarium, and one to three is a great ration for this species of fish. have fun 8)

Rubysoho - I can tell you from experience that the platy you mention (a mickeymouse platy as known up in these parts) are very hardy. The one I have is a survivor of tank devastation (ick, toxic ammonia, trite). He survived it all. I originally had three (wanted to breed them).

Go for platies! Oh, did anyone mention they are notorius breeders? :wink:

Platies are fantastic! They are hardy, peaceful, pretty and highly reproductive. I don't see anything wrong with feeding unwanted fry to other fish. I rarely take fry out of the community tank until they are over a month old (and then only if they have markings etc. that I want). I figure that if they are not smart, fast, healthy, or whatever enough to survive on their own, then I do not want them as part of my group.

I agree with TashGaia about the platies, and you can get some amazing colored ones if you shop around. Same with guppies.

Jchillin said:
[=quote"TashGaia"] Blue mickeymouse

Oh my, a blue one! Where on earth did you find this?[/quote]

Petco. I have seen them at most of the LFS around here. Where are you? If you are close to me, I'll give you one (or more) of my blue mickey juvies. If you want to pay for shipping I can send some to you... but they are pretty common. I would just check around if I were you. I don't really think they are worth the cost of shipping. Now if anyone has any Yellow Wags, those *I* would buy and pay to have shipped to me.

Platies are one of the most hardiest fish around. Guppies are very easy to care for Also. Both types of fish have fry every 21-35 days usually alot depends on temp of the tank and feeding.

As far as the fish you have listed angelfish love baby live bearers to eat. If large enough they can even eat younger guppies and platies. The personality of your angel will determine wether they will nip or not.

Bettas sometimes will be agressive towards guppies. The male guppies more than likely would be the ones getting nipped. again this depends on the personality of your bettas.

If these fish have territories in the tank that they have laid out then I might consider rearranging the tank abit when introducing the newer fish it might work better that way or it might not.

Anyhow you do have a couple fish that have been known to nip guppies fins thought I would let you know ;) The size of your tank might be the biggest plus against this happening.

cool, thanks a lot!! I'll be heading back tomorrow because a shipment arrived today. If I get any, I'll let you know. :D Thanksfor all the info guys!

Rubysoho...

I have both platies and guppies...they are fantastic in my opinion. I have had a hard time telling myself no on the platies...they are so friendly! When I reach my hand in to adjust a plant or move something, they swarm around me...it's so odd to feel something brush past, and see the platy rubbing against you, or the guppy brushing you with it's fins.

I have 3 female platies, they are the silver and blue mickey mouse platies, and a male that is silver and blue mickey mouse, but has a gold top fin.

JChillin, I'll try to send you some pics of the platies if you want them.

My female (who is again preggo) was just pulled out of a decoration, she is ripped up pretty bad, but she is still preggo, and seems to be doing alright.

oh oh oh!! I just learned this today because I bought 4 platies!!! 3 females and 1 male :mrgreen:

Okay, the male's anal fin is more like a rod, very pointy, while the female's anal fin is shaped like a triangle. Make sense?

I'm in Boone, going to school at Appalachian State Univ. However, I was born and raised, and still visit my mom in Charlotte :D

I LOVE guppies, thats my 12 gal right now, a female guppy and her babies! Definatley get a male and female pair.

Back
Top Bottom