Question for Betta expert!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AliGee

Aquarium Advice Activist
Had two male Bettas in a moderately planted separated 10G and I just didn't think they were happy enough. One male Betta now has one entire 10G to himself and I moved another male Betta into a moderately planted 20L community tank I have.

My question is, do you think the male in the 20L is happy? It has friendly community fish - tetras, corydoras, a female dwarf crayfish, a mystery snail and a tiny clown pleco. I have read that Bettas like to be alone, but he seems happier than in the 10G? He is much more active and seems to be more relaxed? He has plenty of plants to rest on and lots of driftwood to seek shelter under/in.

How will I know if he becomes stressed/unhappy? I don't want to stress him with too many other tank mates. Though he seems to completely ignore them and vice versa.

Thanks!

I would say that it's very likely that hes happier. Male bettas shouldn't be put together under most circumstances as 9 times out of 10 they will do nothing but fight. Just taking him away from the stressor of having another male betta around will likely allow him to relax and act like he normally should.

Generally bettas ignore most tank mates however large schools of hyperactive fish can stress them out.

Thanks for the reply! The tank was setup so they couldn't really see each other but did share the same water. They did get a peak at each other once in a while though so that enough probably stressed them.

I bought one from a breeder and he randomly selects a customer to win a free one. It ended up being me so I definitely wasn't prepared for two but I am in love with both of them! Haha.

image-56780271.jpg

image-1308230814.jpg

Thank you! ^.^

I want to keep them both healthy and happy!

Back
Top Bottom