question for those living in an appartment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Talon242

Aquarium Advice Freak
I will be moving in less than a month and this question keeps nagging me, although its kinda dumb. What do you do with the dead fish? Normally at home I go out and burry them in the garden. But I dunno if they would want me digging or not. So I'm kinda wondering what to do with them.

depends how big. If they are smaller than 4 or 5 inches, they get the one flush salute. :-( But i prefer nomadofthehills' idea! (everlasting fish)

I don't trust the plumbing in my building (last thing I need is a backed-up toilet), so I put dead fish and plant trimmings in a recycled plastic grocery bag and drop it down the garbage chute so it won't stink up my garbage can.

If you're renting an apartment check the lease carefully for any restrictions regarding aquariums. If the lease is silent on the issue, then there are no restrictions. AFAIK, fish are not considered 'pets' with regard to a 'no pet' clause in NYC.

Also, I strongly suggest that you buy renters insurance. Beside covering you in case you're robbed, or the upstairs bathtub overflows onto your stuff; it will cover you for any liabilities should your aquarium leak. It's relatively inexpensive too- I less than $200 a year for excellent coverage.

I'm sorta the same, I'm in a dorm and small fish just get the royal flush.

I agree with many of the comments, Everlasting Fish, the Royal Flush, and the Ziplock bag. All pretty good things.

Thanks for the suggestions. Btw where would I get some of these everlasting fish from :wink:

QTOFFER said:
Also, I strongly suggest that you buy renters insurance. Beside covering you in case you're robbed, or the upstairs bathtub overflows onto your stuff; it will cover you for any liabilities should your aquarium leak. It's relatively inexpensive too- I less than $200 a year for excellent coverage.

Yup I already looked into insurance and its like 10 bucks a month or something like that.

Everlasting fish is in the experimental stage. So far they only come in glass, and aren't very lively. I bet Willy Wonka's pet dept. will be coming out with that next.

Back
Top Bottom