question from a newb....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

booshaka

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hi my name is jay. i recently decided to get into fish. i got a tank, got the substrate, put in real plants, and then added water. i let it cycle for a full week before i added the fish. i went to petsupermarket, and asked the guy there what i should start off with for my 15 gallon tank. i got three nice medium sized fish, and 2 smaller silver fish. added 5 ghost shrimp, got two new "plant" bulbs and fish food,(flakes, and frozen bloodworms) and came home. put the bags into the tank let them acclimate. then added the inhabitants to their new home. that was last night friday the 11th. now its saturday the 12th and the fish are acting odd. please see video....

fishy - YouTube

did i do something wrong? i followed the guidance of the employees at petsmart, and from some online readings i did. also anyone know what kind of fish they are? they employee wrote down hardy tropical fish. i think they're barbs.

You'll want to get a liquid test kit for at least ammonia and nitrite. The best value for your money is the API master test kit in my opinion. Letting the water sit for a week doesn't really do anything for the cycling process. Now that you have fish the cycling process will begin.

You will need to get a dechlorinator for water changes. Prime is recommended by nearly everyone mainly because it lasts longer and that's because you use less of it when adding new water compared to other dechlorinators.

When your tank tests for ammonia or nitrite of above 0.25 or higher (some recommend waiting until 0.5) you will want to do a water change. I usually do a 50% water change. This is because these waste compounds are lethal to fish. Nitrogen cycle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

While it's unlikely that the ammonia has built up already you will need to take a look at this link and be prepared to do a lot of water changes. It looks to me like they are just nervous at being added to a new tank.

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

I'd skip the easy balance. That honestly seems like a useless product.

thank you tons!!!! i just ordered my test kit, and got 2 day shipping on it. ill start working the water asap. my fish at the moment are now swimmin around activleyand seem to be normal. but ill make sure to keep my eyes peeled.

You are using dechlorinator right?

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hello I have a red cap oranda and a black moor. I got them from same tank at the pet store. Yet one of them "red cap" got ich 3 days later. I treated the tank than he started staying at the top of tank.

I did 15% water change figured it was to much ich medicine since he is only 1inch long. Now he's just sitting at the bottom. Not eating. Ich looks like it went away but than he had a white fuzzy thing on the back fin. I took him to the top to rub it off. Some fell off than I go out few hours come back to see his tail that had that white peice is now all shreds. He also got black lips the day after I treated tank with ich medicine.

All and all. Is he dying ?

Now he has two new growths on the other side of his tail starting at the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hello I have a red cap oranda and a black moor. I got them from same tank at the pet store. Yet one of them "red cap" got ich 3 days later. I treated the tank than he started staying at the top of tank.

I did 15% water change figured it was to much ich medicine since he is only 1inch long. Now he's just sitting at the bottom. Not eating. Ich looks like it went away but than he had a white fuzzy thing on the back fin. I took him to the top to rub it off. Some fell off than I go out few hours come back to see his tail that had that white peice is now all shreds. He also got black lips the day after I treated tank with ich medicine.

All and all. Is he dying ?

Now he has two new growths on the other side of his tail starting at the end.

Would you mind copying this into a new thread?

You will get a lot more attention on your problem if you do because everyone looking at this thread is looking into the original posters problems.

Sorry I'm new at this. Not sure how to do that yet.

Back
Top Bottom