question regarding my little crab in hiding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

the_darkm6n

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I currently raise 5 different african cichlids, chinese algea eater, pleco, and a small fresh water crab.

My question is regarding my crab. He's always in hiding the cave or decoration that i setup for the fish. I was wondering if this is fine? What happen if he grow out of his exoSkeleton and leave it behind in the cave where i can't get to it? Will that be fine or will it mess up my water if i don't take it out? Or what happen if the crab just bottoms up and dies? Just some of my concern and i need figure the expertise at Aquariumadvice.com would be able to answer for me.

Thank you.

You don't want to take out the crabs shell when they molt. They end up eating their shell to regain calcium in to their bodies (So it won't mess up your water). Also, when they are molting, they will be hiding for quite a while--One of mine climbed up into my HOB and was on the filter floss for a week or so.

If he dies---I don't know what to tell you. I have always taken anything out that is dead/ left over food but he may get eaten if the other fish find him first.

do you have lots of hiding place in your tank? I have lots of hiding places in my tank for my cichlids. My crab hides in those impossible place to reach in my aquarium. I see him comes out like once a month if i'm lucky. Thanks for the info on letting me know that they eat their outer shell when they grow out of it (i did not know this).

Right now, i'm just scared that he might died in a crack somewhere and pollute my tank.

Hi the_darkm6n!!
What type of cichlids do you have? I keep Mbuna and they have a ton of lace rock caves, every once in awhile I find it necessary to take it ALL out to retrieve an ill fish. You may want to do the same for your crab if you believe it is dead. Depending on the type of cichlid, they may have taken care of your problem :?

I used to have a FW crab but he has killed by my fish after he moulted. After they moult they have really soft exoskeletons. You have to make sure that the fish can't get to him after he moults.

Back
Top Bottom