questions about new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kimmi_7

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok so we were checking out things out at petsmart today and now my boyfriend wants to get another tank for crayfish. We have looked up online and have read conflicting reports. Some people have kept them with fish ok and some have not. Have read that if you get a big enough tank with mostly upper swimming fish, they should last much longer then bottom dellwers. So we are wondering if anyone out there has kept one or two in a large tank with fish without many or none getting picked off. Also I am hoping that we could do a more natural looking tank, but also heard that they like to attack live plants and move things around. We are good with it moving things around but not sure if we like the idea of it attacking live plants. Any feedback would be great as well any good websites with good info on crayfish.

I'm no expert but crawfish do get kinda big. I suggest getting larger fish that can fend off if the crawfish began to harass them. Definitely get upper swimmers. You might want to experiment with one fish and see how it works out.

I have one and would never dream of keeping mine with fish. I feed it feeder fish and they are gone in like a couple of minutes. But I have a teacher who kept one with a heap of fish.
As for size they get quite big so a 10 gal would be alright for say 1 year but then you would need to upgrade. They eat plants I occasionally get a plant from my tank and feed it too m crayfish. I keep fake plants with it but it does not touch them at all

I would not keep it with other fish as tank mates. Some people recommend top swimmers or energetic fish that are fast enough to avoid the Crayfish, but if you think about it, the fish have to rest at night. When they rest, they hover above the bottom of the tank, the perfect chance for the Crayfish to attack.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium

Back
Top Bottom