Questions About Tank Inhabitant Behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theotheragentm

Aquarium Advice Addict
For those if you that have seen my screen name like crazy recently in the forums, I've was sick like a dog and in the past few days, I have had little to do than lie around in bed. :D

Anyway, I've been watching my tank, and noticed things I don't get to normally see just watching the tank when I get home from work.

1. I have been watching my Mystery Snail. He will crawl to the top of the tank and he will fall to the bottom. I don't believe any of the fish are near him, causing him to fall down. Is this normal?

2. If my Mystery Snail gets to a shrimp pellet or algae wafer before the fish, he will basically eat the whole thing. Then he won't close up, but he will attach to a rock and just sit there for a long period of time. Is he just suffering from food coma?

3. I have Panda Cories and sometimes they just literally lay on the sand. They get going later, but is normal for them to lie there for extended period of times?

Thanks in advance for any help.

All normal IME

My snails will even float around and ride the current for hours at a time. They can control the amount of air in their shell and that is how they control how they float or not.

My poor cories have to fight the snails for the shrimp and algae pellets. The snails will often find a spot and just hang out there for hours.

Cories often hang out on the bottom and just watch the world go by. I think it is cool when you catch them blink.

All is well with your inhabitants.

I can respond to #1.

I used to have a pair of mystery snails, one black and one golden, that would do the same thing. I never understood it, but it cracked me up everytime they'd do it though.

Yep they go to the top for air and many times will just float back to the bottom. They seem to love to float and play in currents and bubbles. Very common behavior.

Also yes they can eat like hogs. They will just eat themselves full and "hang out".

Sounds to me like you have a happy snail ;)

Back
Top Bottom