quiet(er) filter for a 30g?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cajungrl81

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
The first of my 3 planned 30g aquariums is up and running, and I'm happy with all but one thing...the volume of sound produced by the filter. It literally sounds like I have a small motorbike in my dining room. So that I don't make the same mistake with #2 and #3, can anyone recommend filters that run more quietly than the Tetra 30EX that came with #1...?

Aqua clear filters are best I've ever used. Aquaclear 50 should do the job nicely :) . I have it in my bedroom. Its silent

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I love my Aqua Clear units but my Fluval 206 canister is the quietest thing on the planet

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have a fluval 306 canister and it is pretty much silent can't hear it unless I put my ear to it. On the cheap side of canisters I have a sunsun hw-302 which is also very quiet but there is a little hum if you listen closely but for $50 you can't beat it.

The first of my 3 planned 30g aquariums is up and running, and I'm happy with all but one thing...the volume of sound produced by the filter. It literally sounds like I have a small motorbike in my dining room. So that I don't make the same mistake with #2 and #3, can anyone recommend filters that run more quietly than the Tetra 30EX that came with #1...?

No.. You just cocked up setting up the filter.
It is soundless.

Thanks to everyone who's replied with CONSTRUCTIVE, helpful comments. :thanks:

I have learned something very important from this, and that's to pay attention to ALL the reviews. There were many good reviews on the 30EX, yes. But there were nearly as many mediocre to bad ones, which suggests that you're as likely to get a dud as not. Because surely half of all aquarists aren't idiots that can't assemble a pump and filter...?

As for the rest...
I'd be more inclined to take your 'advice' into consideration if not for something very important: Saying that someone is wrong without explaining why you think so, or what they might do to fix the problem, isn't in any way helpful.

I'm running an AquaClear 50 on my 29 gal and I really like it. Mechanical, chemical, and bio filtration are all individual pieces, not a pre-made cartridge like I had in my Penguin Biowheel. Plus, it's very low profile. The filter noise is negligible. The most sound I hear is a little water splashing around for surface movement.

Aquaclear 110 for my 40g, and an AC50 for my 30g. Greatest filters (HOB at least) on the market.

I have an aquaclear on my 10g, since replacing my old filter my aquarium the water has become more clear than ever.

It is one strong and quiet filter IMO, reason being is one night my family decided to sleep in our 5th wheel bc we just brought it home. I forgot to add in some water to fill my tank bc of the evaporation, and the filter ran basically dry all for most of the night :/ :/ When I got inside I could hear the filter trying to pump water, I topped up my tank and filled the aquaclear and it's still silent and works great with no issues yet.

Sent from my iPhone A1533 using Aquarium Advice

When I looked at it after I unplugged it all looked fine to me, but I really have/had to watch the water level because of my snail, as it is recommended to have the water line 1inch from the top for them so I ended up moving the mystery snail to my brothers tank because he always has 1" bc of his hood. So I raised the water line as far as I could.

Sent from my iPhone A1533 using Aquarium Advice

I have an Aquaclear 50 on a 16 gallon tank, and it's nearly silent with the lid off the filter. Put the lid on, and it's louder. So I leave the lid off. But like others have said, I have a Fluval 206 canister that is absolutely silent.

I too have an aquaclear 30 in my 10 gallon and it's so quiet I look at it from time to time to make sure it's on. :lol:

I'm really pleased with my Marineland 200 hang on back filter.

And yes, it's completely possible that there's something with the setup that is making it run noisily. You can call the 800 number for Tetra and they may help.

Mine can get noisy on occasion, especially if I took it apart or it ran dry briefly while doing a water change. I just turn it off and try again.

I think it would be worth the attempt (as Tetra is closed until tomorrow) to take it back apart and put it together again. There are a lot of moving parts and if anything that spins gets a little unbalanced it gets noisy. That's worked with mine (another one with some reviews that say it's great and some that say it's noisy).

Back
Top Bottom