Rain water???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tricksyfish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Probably a stupid question but here goes... My husband asked me a couple days ago whether it was possible to use rain water from our rain catchers for pwc's. I didn't think it sounded like too hot of a plan and told him so (pollutants, etc.). Now I'm curious, though. Any one know if this would be a bad thing to try, especially if it was tried on our pond?

If the air quality in your area is decent, then it's not much of an issue in terms of pollutants. Where rainwater is deficient is it's lack of minerals which you get from tap water ... especially if your tap is from ground water.

I have read of people who swear by it. That fish really do well in it and it encourages breeding. I would filter it first.

If I decide to try it, I may try half rain and half tap. Our water comes from the Missouri river and 2 aquifers. I'm south of Kansas City and I'm not sure of air quality. We don't have smog or anything really that I know of. All I ever hear about are high pollen and some ozone alerts.

I've never done it myself, but I've heard of people that have done so. They mentioned boiling it to sterilize it (especially if it's been sitting for a while) as unwanted bacteria can sometimes find its way into the water.

jcolon said:
If the air quality in your area is decent, then it's not much of an issue in terms of pollutants. Where rainwater is deficient is it's lack of minerals which you get from tap water ... especially if your tap is from ground water.

This was my first thought as well. Only thing I can add is that I've heard if it's been dry for a long time...the first rain you get tends to have more impurities. I also agree with rich that running it at least through carbon is a good idea.

If it's a pond, I guess it's okay because the pond always gets rainwater in it when it rains

If I decide to try it, I may try half rain and half tap. Our water comes from the Missouri river and 2 aquifers. I'm south of Kansas City and I'm not sure of air quality. We don't have smog or anything really that I know of. All I ever hear about are high pollen and some ozone alerts.

River + Aquifer tap will definitely have hardness needed for aquariums. Rainwater simply lacks the nutrients, plus rainwater can have unwanted bacteria since it's not chlorinated. At worst, boil the rainwater if you 50/50 mix with tap.

Back
Top Bottom