Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-25-2005, 10:25 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Rainbow Sharks

Well, I have 3 rainbow sharks (I plan on getting more once the LFS has more, but I bought out all 3 that they had lol) and they are startign to loose their black color, the red seems fine but the body is turning verry pale.

I dont see any changes in their personality tho, they still eat the same, and love to nibble at my hands.

any ideas?

NO2- <0.3 mg/l
NH3/NH4 - 0 mg/l
PH - 9.0 8O

Definately have a PH spike. I don tknow what to do to lower it, but I think it came from a water change.

Since I know theres a PH spike, do you think that would cause this loss of color in the rainbow sharks?

Old 07-25-2005, 05:50 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
9.0 is a bit extreme. What kind of test kit are you using?

Also, rainbow sharks can be very territorial. Make sure you don't have one picking on the other two. Are all of them losing color, or just one or two of them?

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 07:16 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
I would guess it came from a lack of water changes.. how often do you change the water? have you tested your waters KH?
Old 07-25-2005, 08:25 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Recently (past week) I'v been doing daily water changes beacause of ick, before that I was doing them weekly.

The teritorial part may be an issue, the one that is getting real bad has always
shyd away from the other to. But I plan on buying a couple more to mayb help them out, everyone was telling me I should have 6 or more.

I didnt get to test the KH beacause I had to run to work, but Im going to tonight.

Thanx again.
Old 07-26-2005, 10:42 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
How large a tank are they going into? 6 rainbow sharks can be alot of fish for any tank. Depending on tank size, you may want to keep just one. Just my two cents. Also, what method are you using to treat for ich? The ich itself, coupled with a few other things, could be causing the discoloration. Take the water to a LFS to get tested, if you can. 8)

Good Luck.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 09:04 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to Angel.Zero Send a message via Yahoo to Angel.Zero
I also have this problem, I have 5 sharks... in the 55 gal the territory thing isn't an issue (they actuakky school together!) Put they all are very pale. otherwise they are fine but very very pale... I am scared! I like my fish very much and want them to be at their happiest. someone please help me!!!

Tags
rainbow shark, sharks

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com